Many thoughtful Bay Area leaders have discussed our regional challenges and outlined solutions. And we have leaned on the writings and insights of national leaders asking our sector to reimagine philanthropy. The following partial list of resources informed and inspired our writing. We hope you ﬁnd them useful.
Bay Area and Region-Specific Reports
- 2021 Silicon Valley Index, Joint Venture Silicon Valley, 2021.
- A Roadmap for Economic Resilience: The Bay Area Regional Economic Strategy, Bay Area Council Economic Institute.
- Bay Area Equity Atlas, a partnership of the San Francisco Foundation, PolicyLink, and the USC Equity Research Institute, ongoing data updates, most recent 2021.
- Blueprint for Change, Castellano Family Foundation, 2020.
- SPUR Regional Strategy: The Bay Area of 2070, SPUR, 2021.
- Taking Count: A Study on Poverty in the Bay Area, Tipping Point Community and UC Berkeley Othering & Belonging Institute, 2020.
- No Going Back LA, The Committee for Greater LA, 2020.
- Abichandani, Dimple. “A Balancing Test for Foundation Spending.” Stanford Social Innovation Review, February 10, 2020.
- Buchanan, Phil. “Giving Done Right.” The Center for Effective Philanthropy, April 16, 2019.
- Farnham, Lija, Emma Nothmann, Zoe Tamaki, Nate Harding, Cora Daniels. “How Philanthropy Can Support Systems-Change Leaders.” The Bridgespan Group, January 14, 2021.
- Giridharadas, Anand. “Winners Take All." Penguin Random House, October 1, 2019.
- Kania, John, Mark Kramer, Peter Senge. “The Water of Systems Change." FSG, June 4, 2018.
- Kulish, Nicholas. “How Long Should It Take to Give Away Millions?” The New York Times, June 9, 2021.
- McAfee, Michael and Victor Rubin. “Advancing Well Being by Transcending the Barriers of Whiteness." PolicyLink and the Well Being Trust, June 2021.
- Mehta, Manmeet and Michael Zakaras. “Philanthropy Needs a New Playbook to Fund Systems Change." The Chronicle of Philanthropy, March 5, 2020.
- Reich, Rob. “Just Giving." Princeton University Press, November 20, 2018.
- Taylor, Kat. “My Giving Pledge Isn’t Enough." The Chronicle of Philanthropy, November 19, 2020.
- Tilsen, Nick. “Building Indigenous Power and Investing in Indigenous Self Determination." Stanford Social Innovation Review, January 28, 2021.
- Van Deven, Mandy. “How Kat Taylor and Taj James Are Challenging Philanthropy to Take Bolder Steps to Shift Power." Inside Philanthropy, January 27, 2021.
- Villanueva, Edgar. “Decolonizing Wealth." October 16, 2018.
- Walker, Darren. “How Philanthropy Can Shape the 21st Century Gospel of Wealth: A Move From Generosity to Justice." The Chronicle of Philanthropy, December 10, 2019.
- Wong, Nate and Andrea McGrath, “Building a Trust-Based Philanthropy to Shift Power Back to Communities." Stanford Social Innovation Review, November 20, 2020.