Are you interested in hearing more about NCG's policy work? Sign up to receive updates of your choosing.
Northern California Grantmakers members are grappling with complex issues in a diverse and rapidly-changing region. We recognize that policy is a powerful tool to advance significant and sustained change and improve outcomes. We believe we have a mandate to advocate for policy-based approaches to achieve shared goals.
NCG has appointed a Policy Committee (listed right) to advocate for smart, effective policies to advance shared impact goals. The committee will tap NCG staff, collaborators, and expert advisors to educate policy makers and thought leaders about the value of philanthropy, and catalyze engagement and collaboration between NCG members, public officials, foundations and community stakeholders to advance policy-based approaches to achieving the change we seek in the world.
Through our policy work, NCG seeks to:
- Equip our member community with tools, information, and skills to strengthen advocacy and policy capacity and engagement within their own philanthropic institutions and in the nonprofit organizations they support.
- Build enduring relationships of trust between philanthropy and policymakers.
- Support policy-based efforts to strengthen and protect the philanthropic sector.
- Collaborate with members, local community partners, and statewide collaborators to advance policy initiatives that address targeted local and state issues.
- Respond effectively and collectively to proposed policies that are contrary to shared values, principles, and goals.
The following goals guide us in our policy work:
Goal 1: Ensure the laws and policies governing the philanthropic ecosystem maximize the delivery of social good.
Goal 2: Expand economic security for individuals, families, and communities across Northern California.
Goal 3: Advance and promote the rights of historically marginalized communities in Northern California, including communities of color, low-income communities, and immigrants and refugees.
Goal 4: Leverage collective efforts to advance a statewide policy agenda as part of Philanthropy California.
Want to know more about how we engage in policy? Learn More >