By Alice Y. Hom and Daniel Lau, Northern California Grantmakers
Amidst the daily stream of challenging news and events, this month’s list of social justice articles will provide glimpses of change, hope, and understanding. We also have a bonus article/trailer about a docuseries to spark dialogue and action.
1. "Their knowledge gives force of strength to younger generations..."
Indigenous matriarchs stand together in dark times | by Emilee Gilpin, Canada's National Observer
2. Do we need a racial equity “lens” for cameras?
The Racial Bias Built Into Photography | by Sarah Lewis, The New York Times
3. Find out the difference between guilt and responsibility and what to do about it.
Privileged | by Kyle Korver, The Players Tribune
4. “Where there is anti-Semitism, there is often Islamophobia as well.”
American Jews And Muslims Are ‘Natural Allies’ With Close Bonds, Study Finds | by Carol Kuruvilla, Huffington Post
5. “Lack of expertise does not excuse us...”
Real Equity Means Including People With Disabilities in Philanthropy | by Rich Besser and Darren Walker, The Chronicle of Philanthropy
6. BONUS: REA Institute guest speaker, Jeff Chang, has a new docuseries focused on racial resegregation and what’s being done on it.
‘We Gon’ Be Alright’ Trailer: Docuseries Spotlights Racial Resegregation In The U.S. | by Dino-Ray Ramos, Deadline