It certainly does feel like summer in the Bay Area these days. These articles reflect some hot topics in the social justice field. Let’s learn from these untold stories that provide a mirror and window connecting the past to current-day realities.
1. Did you know that 30% of the professional workforce fits the current federal definition of having a disability?
Why People Hide Their Disabilities at Work | by Pooja Jain-Link and Julia Taylor Kennedy, Harvard Business Review
2. Learn about the Indigenous and Black roots of the Women’s Suffrage Movement.
Women of color were cut out of the suffragist story. Historians say it’s time for a reckoning. | by Liz Weber, The Washington Post
3. Why is “intersectionality” so controversial?
The Intersectionality Wars | by Jane Coaston, Vox
4. There is no federal law that protects queer and trans workers from being discriminated against at work. Who can protect us?
How LGBTQ Union Activists Transformed the Labor Movement | by Kim Kelly, Teen Vogue
5. “They are a family first and asylum seekers second.”
What Is ‘Sanctuary’ for a Black Immigrant Family in the US? | by Tina Vasquez, Rewire.News