Justice Outside advances racial justice and equity in the outdoor and environmental movement. We shift resources to, build power with, and center the voices and leadership of Black, Indigenous, and People of Color because the health of current and future generations demands it.
Justice Outside’s consultancy work is called Training and Support, and is one of five programs of Justice Outside. The Training and Support Manager is responsible for the ongoing management of our client portfolio and will join the Training and Support team in supporting clients with our suite of consultation services. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, securing new client partnerships, maintaining new and existing relationships, managing contracts, tracking deliverables, and facilitating trainings about racial justice, equity, inclusion, and cultural relevancy. This position reports to the Justice Outside Chief Program Officer, and works closely with the Programs team.
In alignment with the position summary, special attention should be given to the following duties as critical responsibilities:
Client Services & Partnership Management (40% of time)
- Serve as Lead for a client load, including building out and tracking deliverable schedules for partnerships; communicating in a timely manner with client regarding contract status and progress reports; maintaining regular feedback loops to assess efficacy and necessary pivots
- Navigate conversations about racial justice and equity with an understanding of how white privilege and white supremacy culture interplays with client’s stated efforts to advance equity, inclusion, and justice
- Prepare for and facilitate external meetings with clients, including timely follow-up
- Engage potential clients in initial conversations to learn about their interests and provide early recommendations for services Justice Outside can provide them
- Work closely with other managers & directors / leadership team to ensure timely, effective communication of programs and services on an ongoing basis.
- Generate new consulting opportunities through community networking, client relations, and attending conferences
- Work closely with the Operations Associate to formalize proposals, contracts, and additional partnership logistics such as contracts and billing schedules
Consultation (30% of time)
- Design and implement racial justice, equity, inclusion, and cultural relevancy consultation/coaching alone and/or in collaboration with another Justice Outside facilitator
- Implement audit activities such as conducting a document review, creating and administering surveys, interviewing focus groups, and developing findings and recommendations reports to advance client’s equity, inclusion, and racial justice efforts
Program Development (30% of time)
- Support with on-boarding, training, and coaching additional facilitators as recruited
- With the Justice Outside team, contribute ideas for the development, implementation, and documentation of systems that can strengthen the organization’s operations, in particular as it relates to streamlining processes for the Training and Support program
- Participate in ongoing professional development that ensures the continued relevancy of the organization’s internal and external approach to racial justice, equity, inclusion, and cultural relevancy
- Create and implement equity-centric curriculum and training materials
- Serve as a subject matter resource to Justice Outside staff, board members, and program alumnx on matters related to the continued evolution of racial justice, equity, inclusion, and cultural relevancy work
- Experience leading projects and managing external relationships
- Experience navigating conversations about racial justice and equity with an understanding of how power, privilege, and white supremacy culture interplay with efforts to advance equity, inclusion, and justice
- Experience developing and implementing programs and curriculum, with a focus on racial justice, equity, and inclusion content
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative work environment
- Ability to adjust and adapt readily to multiple demands, constituencies, and handle a variety of projects simultaneously
- Effective English oral, written, and facilitation skills with the ability to create and hold a productive and brave space through difficult conversations, high emotions, and social justice themed curriculum
- Ability to effectively communicate the values and expectations of Justice Outside
- High attention to detail and experience using office management tools to stay organized
- Ability to take and give direction and feedback on a variety of topics
- Familiarity with software and tools such as Microsoft Suite, Google Suite, Zoom, and social media platforms
- Familiarity with the philanthropic sector, particularly relating to racial justice, equity, and inclusion
- Familiarity with the outdoor and environmental sector, particularly relating to racial justice, equity, and inclusion
- Comfortable with in-person and virtual methods of facilitation
Compensation and Benefits
Annual salary range: $55,000-$60,000
Benefits include: generous vacation, paid health and dental premiums, a supportive team culture, and financial support for individual professional development activities. Successful candidates also have the opportunity to join an employer-sponsored retirement plan.
This position is a full-time, salaried position. Our office is based in downtown Oakland, CA. We are working in a hybrid model that supports both remote and in-person work. This position can be based anywhere in the United States, applicants from the North West, South West and East Coast regions of the country strongly encouraged to apply.
How To Apply
Please submit a resume, and an intentional cover letter, to Laura Rodriguez at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject: Training and Support Manager.
Justice Outside is an equal opportunity employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.