Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Senior Manager, Payroll Services will work alongside Tides’ leadership to develop payroll strategies that align with the organization’s vision and support its initiatives and shared services. We are seeking an experienced professional with proven problem-solving capability and proactive approach to identifying areas for improvement and refining processes. This role requires a strong customer service orientation to align with organization's culture of open communications and drive for excellence.
The role will work closely with the Executive Team, the CFO and People Team and manage the Payroll team to ensure accuracy throughout processes. A successful candidate will have a wide range of functional and technical payroll experience and bring a methodical and proactive perspective to the organization.
The Payroll team supports life-cycle payroll for staff at Tides Network and Tides Center’s fiscally sponsored projects, including both union and non-union positions. This position will be responsible for managing payroll in a timely, compliant and accurate fashion across projects in multiple states, for both union and non-union staff. Payroll for salaried and hourly employees is currently processed semi-monthly in ADP but will be transitioning to Ceridian in Fall 2022. This role reports to Tides’ Head of Finance and manages a team of two payroll staff which may grow in the future to meet the organization’s needs.
What you will do:
Essential duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Supervising the organization’s payroll functions to ensure pay is processed on time, accurately, and in compliance with all applicable federal and state laws and regulations, such as the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) rules and regulations and the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Working with organizational leadership to develop payroll strategies that align with the organization’s vision and support its initiatives and shared services.
- Managing payroll processes, including: internal and external audits and reconciliations; ensuring compliance with organizational policies and procedures as well as legal standards.
- Leading and developing payroll team to ensure optimal accuracy and efficiency throughout payroll processes, while approaching management from a mentoring perspective.
- Defining and modifying payroll administration policies, procedures, and goals; maintaining and applying current internal control standards to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Managing regular preparation of complex management reports, including weekly, monthly, quarterly and year-end reports.
- Establishing requirements for internal control and procedures for protecting the organization’s assets and making adjustments for to support organization’s growth.
- Preparing and managing taxes and reports; ensuring accuracy of W-2s; resolving monthly discrepancy reports; developing and modifying special calculations including Retirement Plans, Workers’ Compensation, shift differentials, and accruals.
- Responding to employees' and managers' payroll related questions and inquires.
- Managing and maintaining timecard system for all employees, including training users, setting up user accounts, and maintaining data and user groups in the system.
- Ensuring systems are set-up and updated to reflect current employee base, including wages, benefits, sick and vacation time.
- Facilitating meetings for the purpose of identifying appropriate actions, developing recommendations, and supporting other staff in all payroll related matters.
- Identifying and communicating problematic issues with senior management to make changes or alter processes.
- Developing and conducting trainings for internal and external staff and clients on all payroll related processes, systems, and procedures.
- Working with auditors, third party administrators, and staying current on all state, federal, and local laws.
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Commitment to supporting Tides’ values and goals: ability keep large-scale systemic thinking in mind while managing day-to-day workflow.
- Proven problem-solving capability: collaborative and proactive approach to identifying areas for improvement and refining processes for optimal accuracy and efficiency.
- Customer service orientation and strong communication skills: ability to explain and rectify any issues staff may have with payroll administration in a manner that supports the organization's culture of open communications and drive for excellence.
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment and maintain consistent, high-level work ethic in all relationships and duties.
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, effective results.
- Exposure to and/or experience with payroll tax regulation related to non-profit organizations, philanthropic work, and fiscal sponsorship, a plus.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years of related work experience
- Extensive working knowledge of ADP and Ceridian payroll systems.
- Experience working with unionized staff.
- Working experience of payroll tax at the federal, state and local levels including multi-state jurisdiction and taxation regulation around a remote workforce.
- Proven staff management experience (5+ years): demonstrated ability to lead a team to excellence by delegating roles and responsibilities to new staff and developing talent through ongoing mentorship.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.