Senior Director, Grantmaking
San Francisco, CA
Who are we?
Tipping Point Community works to break the cycle of poverty for individuals and families in the Bay Area. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $200 million to support the 1.7 million people in the Bay Area who are too poor to meet their basic needs. We do things differently. We leverage the resources and expertise of our community to invest in solutions that prevent poverty: a nurturing early childhood, strong education, gainful employment, and stable housing. We are laser-focused on metrics and hold our partners and ourselves accountable for results. Our Board covers 100% of our costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We are one community. We believe that the responsibility for fighting poverty belongs to all of us.
- We serve. Our approach is humble and respectful. We exist to meet the needs of others.
- We celebrate generosity. Every gift counts, whether big or small.
- We get results. We are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are always learning. We are risk takers. We commit to facing our challenges as we support solutions that last.
Tipping Point’s unique style of engaged grantmaking includes both significant financial investments as well as comprehensive management assistance. The organization is at an exciting inflection point. With new leadership, focused strategies and an expansion of our efforts into policy and systems changes, we are poised to have greater impact on poverty in the Bay Area.
What will you do?
Tipping Point seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial Senior Director, Grantmaking to oversee our Grantmaking and Capacity Building teams, which together help grantees drive towards greater impact. The ideal candidate will be an experienced, collaborative and results-driven leader with proven leadership in the philanthropic and/or nonprofit sectors. S/he will lead and oversee all aspects of Tipping Point’s core grantmaking and capacity building efforts across our four issue areas: Early Childhood, Education, Employment and Housing. The Senior Director reports to the Chief Program Officer.
- Manage a team of ten, including six direct reports: four Senior Program Officers, Director of Capacity Building, and Program Assistant through a time of organizational and team change.
- Provide strategic guidance and thought leadership on programmatic strategy, prospective grantee due diligence, impact measurement, and ongoing relationship management.
- Work with the grantmaking team to embed a diversity, equity, and inclusion lens to all grantmaking activity.
- Serve as a thought partner to the Chief Program Officer and colleagues across different programmatic teams (Impact + Special Initiatives) ensuring combined program efforts are leading to desired results.
- Execute on Tipping Point’s grantmaking strategy and refined program model. Manage team’s consistent alignment and engagement across grantees.
- Ensure that capacity building offerings are strategic and well aligned with grantees’ needs and the grantmaking team’s impact goals.
- Lead the team in providing clear and regular communication to board members; oversee development of high-quality materials for five issue-specific committees on a quarterly basis.
- Build and manage annual grant making budget as well as the team’s operating budget.
- In collaboration with colleagues on the Impact team, develop effective ways to measure and communicate Tipping Point’s impact on its grantee and broader communities.
Who are you?
- You are a seasoned leader. You have a proven track record of at least seven years of experience in grantmaking and/or program leadership in the non-profit sector. You have experience managing experienced professionals toward goals and desired outcomes.
- You are both strategic + tactical. You are able to create and implement the high-level vision of a program or strategy, as well as manage the day-to-day execution. You are able to balance multiple priorities and strategies simultaneously.
- You are data + results driven. You are skilled at interpreting data to make recommendations, decisions, and drive results. You have a problem-solving orientation and are not afraid to take measured risks.
- You are an effective communicator. You tailor communication, both written and spoken, to meet the needs of various stakeholders and actively listen to others’ perspectives. You are skilled at navigating difficult conversations.
- You invest in people. You lead by example, inspire others to act, and empower those around you. You balance holding yourself and team members accountable for performance with flexibility and a sense of humor that makes the work fun.
- You navigate through change. You recognize the challenges inherent in managing change at a growing organization and take the time to motivate, and develop team members in that context.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.