About Hirsch & Associates
In 1999, Susan Hirsch founded Hirsch & Associates Philanthropic Advisors to help philanthropists solve the great challenges of our time. With expertise in the private, public and non-profit sectors, and success creating a new philanthropic model, Susan and the talented team she has assembled have been pioneers and leaders in the emerging philanthropic advising field in the San Francisco Bay Area, now the epicenter of philanthropic innovation.
Today, Hirsch & Associates directs more than $100M annually to create high-impact change. We have assembled a team of the smartest cross-sector experts we could find, each bringing deep knowledge of how to create and scale change for measurable impact.
“Philanthropy is an investment of resources and time to solve complex community challenges that aren’t going to be solved overnight with a quick-fix. Creating high-impact change requires fresh thinking, creative partnerships and a willingness to take risks. Ultimately, philanthropy is an optimistic investment in the future.” - Susan Hirsch, Founder and CEO
For more information, please visit our website: www.hirschassoc.com
The Senior Director is full-time role reporting directly to the CEO. As part of the firm’s senior management team, the Senior Director will help lead the firm to the next level of performance and growth in a rapidly evolving field.
Hirsch & Associates has grown rapidly over the past decade, more than tripling in size, and continues to expand at a fast pace. The Senior Director will have business development, client management, team leadership and firm leadership responsibilities.
We are seeking a unique business leader, one who is results and mission-driven, seasoned and agile, strategic and process-minded. The ideal candidate will have experience in building relationships with high net worth individuals and significant philanthropic institutions, leading teams of professionals in program development and grant making, and participating on a leadership team that creates a respect-based, performance culture among a group of diverse, high-performing and talented individuals.
Client Management and Team Leadership
- Develop trusted, long-term advisory relationships with clients; and
- Lead client teams to create and implement strategic plans; design, develop and manage innovative philanthropic initiatives, signature projects and grant portfolios; and, assess program progress.
- Successfully identify, cultivate and develop clients for the firm;
- Engage in community and professional networks to expand recognition of the brand; and,
- Participate in the development of the firm’s overall business development strategy.
- Actively participate as a member of the Senior Management Team to guide firm; and,
- Provide leadership to firm-wide projects and take on other roles to support key needs, as necessary.
Skills, Qualifications & Characteristics
We are seeking candidates who are passionate about working with donors and communities to create high-impact change.
Experience and Background Desired
- Broad experience (5+ years) working in a consulting role or professional services firm building and maintaining relationships with high net worth individuals, families and/or philanthropic foundations (note: relevant experience in a charitable foundation will be considered);
- Recognized innovator and leader in philanthropic, non-profit or public sector fields;
- Deep knowledge of philanthropic and non-profit institutions, structures and ecosystems;
- Experience managing successful and visible initiative(s) at broad scale;
- Significant leadership and organizational skills including managing complex, high impact teams;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including significant experience in successfully crafting client proposals;
- An advanced degree in public policy, business administration, or another relevant field highly desired.
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
- Strong public speaker and spokesperson;
- Creative and innovative problem solver who persists in finding solutions to big and small problems;
- Intellectual curiosity, constantly exploring and learning;
- Collegial, collaborative team member with high standards;
- Ability to consistently make good decisions through a combination of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgment;
- Ability to think strategically, anticipate future consequences and trends, and incorporate them into the organizational plan;
- Ability to connect with staff both on an individual level and in large groups; capacity to enforce accountability, develop and empower;
- Ability to manage delicate client and staff issues with positive results.
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a competitive base salary and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
Location: Bay Area Preferred
For an initial conversation to explore this position or learn more, please contact Liz Crowley at (415) 707-0598 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hirsch & Associates in an equal opportunity employer. We respect, honor, and celebrate the unique talents and perspectives that each member of our team contributes to our work.