Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Senior Advisor, Foundations is a core member of the Philanthropic Services team and the broader Client Services Department at Tides. The Philanthropic Services team provides integrated services for individual, family, foundation, and social change leader partners to support grantmaking, impact investing, advocacy, donor collaboration, and strategic advisory solutions. Big picture, the Senior Advisor, Foundations will help lead the evolution of Tides service offering to institutional foundation partners.
Day to day, the Senior Advisor will have an assigned portfolio of partners with an emphasis on serving the institutional foundation segment. In addition to providing core grantmaking and fund management support, the Senior Advisor will deliver enhanced scopes of work for foundation partners, including more complex and/or strategic grantmaking initiatives from design to execution.
In addition to leading the development of the service offering for foundations, the Senior Advisor will ensure that the entire Philanthropic team has the tools, training and resources needed to deepen engagement with foundation partners across the entire portfolio. The Senior Advisor will lead in identifying best practices in the sector with an eye toward future growth and strategic response to ever-increasing demand for Tides solutions from the foundation segment.
The Senior Advisor works in a matrix management structure to support Tides partners. Success depends on building strong cross-functional relationships with staff from other departments, including Grants, Finance, Legal, Compliance, Strategic Partnerships, and Marketing and Communications. The Senior Advisor is responsible for uplifting and embodying Tides core values - Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment in all areas of work, engagement with team members and Tides partners.
This position will be included in the collective bargaining agreement with SEIU 1021.
What You Will Do
- Partner with key internal stakeholders to develop, refine, and iterate Tides’ service offering for foundation partners that enhances their impact, builds their capacity, fosters more equitable practices, and strengthens the power of groups that face systemic barriers and resources
- Develop and execute annual foundation segment plan in collaboration with Client Services, Strategic Partnerships and Marketing and Communications teams
- Provide tools, training, and mentorship to team members to enhance the partner experience and maximize their impact
- Deliver high quality service to a portfolio of partners, primarily foundations that come to Tides to leverage a range of solutions, including donor advised funds, collective action funds, fiscally sponsored projects, complex grantmaking support, advocacy funding, and impact investing
- Serve as the relationship lead on a cross-functional internal team including Grants, Finance, Legal, Strategic Partnerships, and Marketing and Communications to support partner goals
- Build and maintain relationships with key foundation organizing networks to stay abreast of industry trends, best practices, and emerging opportunities
- Proactively participate in network development through referrals from existing partners, outreach to potential partners, and respond to requests for proposals in collaboration with Strategic Partnerships
What You Will Bring
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- 5-10 years of demonstrated experience working in the philanthropy and/or nonprofit sector. This includes experience with:
- Working in the progressive social change space as well as engaging in strategic and analytical thinking around issues of equity and social justice
- Independently managing partner engagements, transforming, and aligning them around acceleration and impact
- Working in an institutional foundation setting or partnering with them on their programmatic and grantmaking objectives
- Designing and implementing consulting engagements or grantmaking initiatives for foundations from concept phase to completion
- BA/BS or higher degree, or equivalent experience may be substituted for a college degree
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in Q1 of 2022.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.