Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green non-profit center’s to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the non-profit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Senior Accounting Specialist, under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor AP/AR, is responsible for the oversight of day-to-day accounts receivable and accounts payable activities, ensuring the timely and accurate delivery of finance services on a daily basis for Tides fiscal sponsorship operations.
The Senior Accounting Specialist is a non-exempt position. Non-exempt employees work a standard 40 hour work week. Time worked beyond 40 hours at manager’s discretion.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop workflow and system improvements that facilitate operational efficiency and financial management of the organization.
- Responsible for interpreting, revising, and implementing Tides Center accounting procedures as well as analyzing and resolving accounting/procedural issues brought up by internal Tides and external project staff in a timely manner.
- Maintain oversight of daily Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable activities to ensure timely processing AP/AR transactions.
- Review, approve, and process AP transactions that include, outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedited, weekly, and weekly check runs.
- Responsible for vendor and 1099 maintenance, including the mailing, filing and correcting of year-end 1099-MISCs and other tax filings as required.
- Review, approve and process AR Transactions that include incoming checks, wires, ACH and securities search, analyze, and resolve AR accounting issues in a timely manner.
- Maintain online donation platforms and open new merchant bankcard accounts as needed.
- Process and manage AR monthly fees to projects.
- Assist with maintaining schedules and reconciliations of various AP/AR accounts and preparation of journal entries.
- Assist in the preparation of annual audits.
- Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
- Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) concepts and procedures utilized in a nonprofit environment as well as nonprofit-specific regulations, both federal and local (e.g., nonprofit revenue recognition, IRS regulations, etc.)
- Extensive AP/AR experience and ability to make sound judgments based on a thorough knowledge of accounting policies and procedures.
- Independent, motivated self-starter who collaborates well with colleagues and across internal teams.
- Demonstrated commitment to social change and ability to engage in strategic thinking and conversation around issues of shared prosperity and social justice.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; excellent internal/external customer service and a keen eye for detail.
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment Flexibility to assume a workload that frequently necessitates an adjustment of priorities.
- Proficiency with NetSuite, Salesforce and MS Office suite (particularly Excel/Word and Outlook).
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting preferred, or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or equivalent years of related work experience.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.