The Kapor family of organizations (The Kapor Center, SMASH and Kapor Capital) works to remove barriers to Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) education and tech careers for underrepresented people of color. We take a comprehensive approach to fixing the leaks at every stage of the tech pipeline, from K-12 education through the workplace with education programs, advocacy, and social impact investing.
The Kapor family of organizations is looking for an experienced Public Relations Director. The ideal candidate is a strategic storyteller, who wants to elevate our collective brand awareness through social media, editorials, press releases and media relations and who has a passion for our mission. Both as a strategist and a do-er. Key responsibilities are to: manage internal communications, external communications and executive thought leadership. The ideal candidate will have a track record of managing communications strategies for a house of brands.
The Public Relations Director will report to the Chief Marketing & Communications Officer and work closely with team leaders across the Kapor family of organizations.
- Maintaining relationships with reporters who cover the tech, business and/or diversity and inclusion beats for national and regional news publications including mainstream press, trade publications and blogs.
- Fostering deep relationships with tech and business reporters who are from underrepresented backgrounds.
- Pitching new ideas to staff and leadership, amplify content and social concepts to propel to increase the quantity and quality of coverage of our work
- Maintaining internal communications strategy to share news/press updated, communicate policies and ensure staff is kept abreast of all entity updates.
- Developing messaging, talking points and sound bites for a Leadership Team and relevant spokespeople
- Drafting and editing op-eds, articles, press releases, media alerts and fact sheets
- Host training for Kapor of organizations for team members, partners and portfolio company representatives to be poised spokespeople in print, radio and television media
- Vetting and managing speaking opportunities for executives and founders
- 8+ years of communications experience with a demonstrated track record of building organizational brands and reporter/media relations
- Experience and familiarity with creating and executing short and long term communications strategies and the agility to “roll up your sleeves” and implement solutions are required
- Personally and professionally aligned with Kapor family of organization’s unique, mission and values-driven culture, be steeped in the world of tech startups, with the agility to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
Other desired experiences and qualifications include:
- Expertise in managing press monitoring and dissemination services
- Experience tracking press and incorporating finding to inform strategy
- Knowledge of presentation software like PowerPoint
- Keen attention to detail, high quality work and commitment to accuracy and timeliness in work products
- Exceptional creative thinking ability and the desire to come up with innovative ways to share our message
- Understanding the unique culture of tech, and the ability to “speak the language” with the reporters who cover Silicon Valley
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate the complexities of startup culture and academic writing effectively to a variety of audiences
- Positive, approachable, dependable, flexible and service-oriented attitude to meet departmental and organizational needs
- Experience motivating teams to create a professionally rewarding and productive work environment
Ideal candidates will also demonstrate the following qualities:
- High level of personal and professional integrity and trustworthiness
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex financial information and concepts effectively to a wide range of audiences.
- The ability to lead with collaboration, transparency, and integrity.
- Deep and authentic commitment to our organizational values:
- We Close Gaps, Open Doors, and SMASH Barriers
- We Value Tech as a Tool to Scale Social Impact
- We Lead with Racial Justice and Reflect the Communities We Serve
- We Honor Distances Traveled, Not Just Finish Lines
- We Challenge with Urgency, Respect, and Purpose
- We Don’t Just Talk. Positive Intent Must Lead to Positive Action
The Kapor Center provides competitive compensation commensurate with experience, and an excellent benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life/disability insurance, paid time off, 401k, volunteer time and flexible spending accounts (i.e. parking, transit, medical and dependent care). Our collaborative office is located in Oakland’s dynamic Uptown District.We are seeking candidates with a personal commitment to fairness, social justice, and innovation--values that are embedded in our culture. We are committed to representation and inclusion, and we welcome applicants with diverse perspectives and backgrounds.