Pacific Foundation Services, LLC (PFS) is a professional services firm that currently partners with 39 independent family foundations. PFS provides substantial strategic expertise through a staffing model that enables foundations to each be more efficient and effective, choosing from a curated set of services including programmatic and strategic advice, grants management and compliance, financial management, board development and governance, communications, and a physical home. Our team brings diverse perspectives and experience from the nonprofit, philanthropic, and private sectors in service to the greater good. We value competence and camaraderie, and work together to make the most of our collective experience. We thrive on collaboration and share our talents to provide top-level service to our clients.
PFS is hiring a Program Associate who will be dedicated to a single foundation client based in Palo Alto, CA. The Program Associate will support the foundation’s program staff with research, writing, presentations, and other activities related to the development and implementation of grantmaking strategies. Strong collaboration, project management, and communication skills are required. The Program Associate will work closely with the foundation’s Managing Director. The position is full-time (37.5 hours per week), nonexempt.
Reports to: Vice President, Engagement & Program Services
- Conduct research and analysis on grantmaking program areas, synthesize relevant materials, and draft organizational summaries to present to senior staff and board
- Coordinate meetings and progress updates with existing grantees as assigned
- Perform national scans of potential grantees, funders, and demographics that fit within current and potential grantmaking strategies and present potential grantees for application invitation to senior staff
- Develop formats and produce reports from database for internal and external audiences
- Maintain a knowledge base for relevant program areas, and disseminate news and policy updates to staff and board
- Collaborate with staff to prepare presentations, reports, and dockets as assigned
- Participate in meetings with staff on grantmaking, planning, and strategy across a broad spectrum of program areas
- Attend trainings and possible conferences as assigned
- Plan meetings and networking events with partners as requested
- Administrative tasks as assigned, e.g., meeting notes, travel arrangements, scanning and digital file management
- Communications work as assigned, e.g., website updates, coordination of vendors, producing first draft content for blog posts
- Special projects as assigned
- Three to five years professional experience in the nonprofit and/or philanthropic sector
- Strong research skills, including the ability to synthesize information, organize report material, and clearly translate content and data into accessible language and visual formats
- Commitment to accuracy and high level of attention to detail
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to prioritize and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders and deadlines
- Ability to juggle multiple projects and work independently, as well as with others, in a collaborative, often fast-paced, team environment
- Ability or capacity to learn to read and effectively analyze nonprofit data
- Proven experience with Microsoft Office and database programs
- A strong interest in social justice
- Adept at working with people from diverse backgrounds, including staff of grantee organizations, client boards of directors, high net worth donors, and those with divergent political and world views
- Empathy and respect for those who do the hard work of developing and raising money for programs and organizations
- Demonstrated commitment to PFS values of generosity, respect, integrity, inclusion, commitment, and humility
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and discretion about confidential matters
PFS has offices in San Francisco, Palo Alto and Santa Rosa. This position is based in our Palo Alto office, but may function from San Francisco 1-2 days per week. During shelter-in-place, our offices are closed with only essential staff occasionally working in the office. The person in this position will work remotely until the office re-opens in October.
PFS offers a competitive salary of $80,000 - $90,000 (commensurate with experience).
PFS also provides a competitive compensation package. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, Section 125 plan, 401K retirement, generous paid time off, matching charitable gifts program, paid volunteer time, and a flexible work environment.
Please email a cover letter explaining your interest in the position, salary requirements, and a resume to:
Jessi Misslin, Vice President of Engagement & Program Services
Application Deadline: June 15, 2021.
No phone calls, please.
Pacific Foundation Services is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We consider all qualified applicants for employment and our company policy prohibits unlawful discrimination based on race, national origin, religion, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, military service, legally protected medical condition, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.