Department: Community Investment and Partnerships (CIP)
Reports to: Director of Grantmaking Systems, Evaluation, and Learning
The Community Investment and Partnerships (CIP) team implements the Foundation’s Just East Bay grantmaking strategy and works with the Development team to align the giving of more than 500 donors with a deeper analysis and reflection about the structural and root causes of the persistent and growing inequities in our region. We are seeking a skilled professional who is excited about this new direction and has the passion and experience to help make it happen.
The Program Associate supports the Community Investment and Partnerships (CIP) Department to implement and refine the Foundation’s Just East Bay strategy. CIP activities include grantmaking, convening, capacity building, donor organizing, thought leadership, and fund raising. CIP works in a flexible, team-oriented manner. We place a high value on team-building toward an ever-greater sense of mutual trust among team members, and between the CIP team and others in the organization. The Program Associate will be an integral member of the team and will participate fully in all team meetings, retreats and planning sessions.
Reporting to the Director of Grantmaking Systems, Evaluation, and Learning, this position provides logistical support to the CIP team as a whole, as well as project-based support to 4-6 individual team members. The Program Associate will be responsible for: (1) Assisting in content development and providing logistical support for internal team meetings and convenings of external stakeholders (e.g. grantees and donors); (2) Assisting in preparing Board materials, grant proposals, blogs, and other written work of the CIP team; (3) Working with the Grants Management team to ensure the efficient processing of grant awards and grantee reports.
Goals of CIP Team
- Engage our Just East Bay partners in a consultative process to develop trust, identify needs, and advance movement goals
- Fundraise for EBCF’s grantmaking and capacity-building initiatives; increase donor support for these initiatives over prior year baseline
- Highlight and lift up grantee work via philanthropic press, social media, and EBCF’s website
- Host funder presentations on grantee issues and/or EBCF’s mission-related work
- Strengthen Intra- and inter- team collaboration through periodic retreats
- Develop/improve systems to track aligned donor grantmaking and evaluate Just East Bay grantmaking
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Grantmaking and Board Committee Support (60%)
- Respond to community inquiries re: EBCF grant priorities
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to applicants and grantees in preparing proposals and reports to EBCF
- Support grantmaking for Clorox Company Foundation (quarterly cycle) and East Bay Fund for Artists (annual cycle)
- Manage production and draft materials for quarterly grant committee meeting. Take meeting notes and prepare official meeting minutes
- Draft grant recommendations and reports for donor-advised fund(s)
- Support CIP team in drafting proposals, reports, presentations, blogs, and other written materials
- Attend grantee meetings, site visits and other convenings as needed to support CIP team and gain an understanding of the issues and organizations that EBCF supports
- CIP team support (30%)
- Provide scheduling and logistical support for internal team meetings, grantee meetings, site visits and convenings; occasionally assist with team-member travel/conference arrangements
- Curate and archive electronic and physical documents
- Manage and track sponsorship requests
- Grants management (10%)
- Work closely with CIP and Grants team to streamline and facilitate grantmaking procedures
- Generate reports from internal database and other data sources
- Work with Grants Management to process CIP grant recommendations and grantee reports
Valued Qualities and Attributes
- Passion for the mission of EBCF to advance A Just East Bay.
- A personal commitment to social justice, equity and inclusion, and a passion for community service
- Integrity, good judgment, discretion, and a commitment to professional excellence
- Curiosity, creativity, and willingness to learn
- Positive attitude, a growth mindset, and a sense of humor
- A high degree of initiative, flexibility, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment in an organization undergoing substantial change at all levels
Qualifications and Required Skills
- At least 3 years of office experience, preferably in a philanthropic, nonprofit, or communitybased organization
- Relationship building skills with a wide range of people
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong project management. A strong track record of creating work plans, setting goal, balancing multiple tasks and projects, and meeting deadline
- Strong administrative acumen and an excellent attention to detail
- Comfortable and adept at using a range of technology tools to enhance productivity and communication
- Solid teamwork and collaboration skills
Our ideal candidate would have…
- Strategic thinking skills and the ability to think big picture, while also appreciating the importance of how the day-to-day administrative support contributes to EBCF’s mission
- Knowledge of and relationships in the East Bay, particularly around philanthropy and its social justice landscape
- An openness, fluency, and comfort in talking about oppressions such as racism, sexism, and classism, and an understanding of how their own experiences and background relate
- Knowledge of community foundations, private foundations, and nonprofit agencies
- Excited to build a stronger organization that operationalizes its new mission, vision, and values, internally and externally
Founded in 1928, The East Bay Community Foundation—one of the oldest and largest community foundations in the United States—is a leading resource for mobilizing financial and leadership resources to transform East Bay communities. By leveraging its own philanthropic resources and position with those of the private, public, and non-profit sectors, EBCF is a critical force for change in the dynamically changing region.
The East Bay Community Foundation is committed to advancing A Just East Bay. We partner with donors, social movements, and the community at large to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home.
Learn more about the East Bay Community Foundation at http://www.ebcf.org.
Location: Oakland, CA
Start Timeframe: October 2019
Compensation: Position offers competitive compensation with the market and expectations of this position. Excellent benefits in line with the field of philanthropy. This is a full-time, exempt position.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.
To Apply: Please submit an email referring to the job title in the subject line along with a resume and thoughtful cover letter describing your interest and qualifications for the position to email@example.com.
To be considered, please submit complete application no later than 5:00 PM PDT Wednesday, September 18, 2019. Applications will be acknowledged by email response. No phone inquiries, please.
EBCF is an equal-opportunity employer. People of diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.