Philanthropy Associate (Donor-Advised Funds)
Reports to Program Director, Donor-Advised Funds
The Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund (the Federation) of San Francisco, the Peninsula, Marin and Sonoma Counties is a philanthropic catalyst, connecting Bay Area Jews – of all ages, backgrounds, and perspectives – to the power we have as a community to improve the world. We partner with donors, organizations, and foundations to address the pressing issues facing our community and develop innovative strategies that result in deep and lasting impact.
Our vision is a vibrant, connected, and enduring Jewish community that is a force for good locally, in Israel, and around the world. Our work is guided by the timeless Jewish values of kehilla (community), tzedakah (giving with just intention), and tikkun olam (repairing the world).
The Federation seeks highly motivated individuals with a variety of skill sets to build the next generation of Federation engagement. We are especially interested in forward-thinking, collaborative, and open-minded candidates who are willing to take risks, possess a high level of integrity, and model a positive attitude that inspires confidence.
Federation Philanthropy Partners, a part of the Federation, works with donors on their own philanthropy and aims to inform, educate, inspire, and challenge philanthropy driven by Jewish values. Through the generosity of about 1,000 donors, this donor-advised philanthropy grants over $175 million a year, both locally and globally, to a variety of secular and Jewish causes. Federation Philanthropy Partners works with these clients, who all have unique situations and varying degrees of need for our guidance.
Our practice and our team will be growing in the coming years, and we are especially interested in candidates who inspire confidence, model positively for those around them, and have deep experience delivering client service. We are also especially interested in candidates who are forward- thinking, who have an entrepreneurial track record, are able to contribute to a growing business and who want to join a team working to build a new model of 21st century and next generation Jewish philanthropy.
The Philanthropy Associate will administer Donor-Advised Funds, charitable vehicles established by clients of Federation Philanthropy Partners. The Donor-Advised Fund program contains approximately 900 funds totaling over $650 million, and grants about 9,000 grants per year. The person in this position can anticipate the opportunity to professionally develop and rise in the organization over time. The Philanthropy Associate will support the Director of the Donor-Advised Fund program, as well as other colleagues in order to meet client and prospective client needs. This position may also be responsible for assisting with key projects in the development of the business of Federation Philanthropy Partners. This work will support the implementation of a growth strategy that has the goal of becoming a preeminent philanthropy advisory practice in the Jewish world, a trusted advisor to generations of Jewish philanthropists, and a pacesetter in philanthropy. This team support will be assigned depending on areas of expertise and need, and may include: supporting the development of client-centric service models, supporting the build of specific programs and the delivery of specific events related to client experience, and supporting due diligence on new products, platforms, and services for our clients.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION
Donor-Advised Fund administration:
- Gift and Grants Administration
- Receives, records, and acknowledges contributions to Donor-Advised Funds
- Processes grant recommendations for clients
- Communicates with grantees, as necessary, regarding fulfillment of grant requests
- Conducts due diligence for weekly batch of grants
- Client Service and Fund Management:
- Assists clients on day-to-day issues regarding all aspects of their funds, and performs administrative tasks related to client requests as necessary
- Technology Support
- First-line client support for online portal access and utilization
- Manages online portal updates and communication process
- Database Management
- Maintains client records as necessary in database
- Manages statement delivery and communication process
- New fund set-up and existing fund updates
Federation Philanthropy Partners client service delivery:
- Completes, with clients and colleagues, key meeting follow-ups so that clients receive caring, pro-active, competent service
- Documents outcomes of meetings in client customer relationship databases and assigns/assists with follow ups to Associates and Advisors
- May help to coordinate client meetings, including the production of agendas, timing and scheduling, electronic and paper documentation and delivery, and helps the Philanthropy Advisors set agendas for the family’s key philanthropy concerns and foundation agenda, as well as issues throughout the year
- Uses and, at times, administers database information for prospecting, client service, and events
- Runs reports for staff, board, and lay leadership, as requested
- Assists in the delivery of events for clients and prospects
- Is briefed and knowledgeable about the Federation’s priorities and funding areas, and can ably represent the Federation as a member of the larger team
- Participates as a member of Federation Philanthropy Partners for a specific group of projects designed to further develop and advance the business
- Communicates professionally with volunteer leadership and provides professional support to these leaders
- Supports the management of a community catalogue of Jewish giving opportunities for internal and external programs, programmatic content, collaborative funding opportunities and educational events as needed
- This position will require occasional attendance/participation at events in the evening or on weekends
EDUCATION OR TRAINING EQUIVALENT
- 3-5 years of direct client service experience, in any multifaceted, complex environment
- Bachelor’s degree required
QUALIFICATIONS (SKILLS, ABILITIES, LICENSES)
- Experience working with high-net worth clients preferred
- Experience participating in the management of Donor-Advised Funds and/or philanthropic operations, systems, and grant programs preferred
- Exceptional organizational skills
- Intrapreneurial or entrepreneurial mindset and interest encouraged
- Knowledge of and appreciation for the Jewish community, its customs and practices
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with many constituencies
- Strong interpersonal skills and team approach
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Must have a positive attitude that inspires confidence and action
- Demonstrated ability to establish and meet objectives and performance standards
- Ability/comfort level working with a broad cross-section of individuals from the community
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
Please send a copy of your resume with a cover letter. All applications and inquiries will receive a response and will be kept strictly confidential.
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits — medical, dental, vision, vacation, sick pay, holidays (including Jewish), and retirement plan.
The Jewish Community Federation and Endowment Fund is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to employment equity throughout all levels of the organization. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, sex, orientation, ethnicity, national origin, disability, or veteran status. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace.
APPLY BY EMAIL