Philanthropic Engagement Manager (Oakland, CA or New York City)
Centered on a groundbreaking model of rapid response grantmaking, Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights (UAF) supports courageous women and transgender human rights defenders (WHRDs) around the world. Our model protects and advances the civil, political and social rights of women and LGBTI people, and invests in the resilience of social justice movements, including environmental, feminist, anti-corruption, land rights, youth, and LGBTI movements. Founded in 1997, Urgent Action Fund has grown from a single organization into a network of four independent Sister Funds that collectively support frontline women’s rights activists around the world. With an annual revenue of $5 Million, UAF’s work within this network centers on support for activists and social movements in Central Asia, the Middle East, Western and Eastern Europe, the South Caucuses, Turkey, Russia, Canada, and the United States.
The Philanthropic Engagement Manager leads visibility and engagement strategies with UAF’s external stakeholders, particularly major individual donors. They play a vital role in advancing Urgent Action Fund’s work for women’s human rights. This position reports to the Executive Director and also works closely with the Partnerships Manager and the Development & Communications Officer. The position can be based in Oakland, California or New York City, with a preference for Oakland.
• Develop overall visibility and donor engagement strategy, implement workplans, and monitor, assess, and adjust progress and development strategies.
• Raise the organization’s visibility among external stakeholders through events, publications, and other messaging and engagement strategies.
• Support the Executive Director in her personal outreach, solicitations, and stewardship of donors.
• Steward and cultivate major gifts, with emphasis on West Coast donors.
• Manage reporting to private family foundation donors, supervising the work of grantwriting consultants as needed.
• Participate in the organization’s annual budgeting process, advising on revenue streams and new sources of support.
• Work with the Development & Communications Team on the development of print and online communication materials and online fundraising campaigns, gifts processing, and donor stewardship.
• Work with members of UAF’s Board of Directors to raise UAF’s visibility and engage donors.
• Work with Program Team and Operations Team to ensure coordination with our work and our funders.
• Share the values of the organization: integrity, feminisms, wellbeing, justice, courage, and mindful engagement.
• Work collaboratively and respectfully with multiple stakeholders including program staff, grantees, donors, Board members, and external consultants.
• Work with attention to detail and sensitivity to confidential information.
• Build relationships that connect others to Urgent Action Fund and that nurture a community of donor-activists.
• Highly driven, energetic, detailed, enjoys a small company atmosphere with lean staffing, has the ability to wear a number of different hats.
• Minimum 5-7+ years of experience with fundraising, communications, or development work.
• Experienced in fundraising campaign planning and execution.
• Comfort with and demonstrated interest in outreach to donors, securing meetings, and soliciting gifts.
• Engaging public speaker.
• Strategic thinker experienced in developing the case for support for social justice or human rights-oriented work.
• Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
• Comfortable working across cultures and time zones.
• Passion for social justice and human rights, including women’s rights and LGBTQI equality.
Job Specifics & Work Environment:
This position is full time (40 hours per week) and is exempt. Position pay range is $80,000 to $97,500 annually, depending on qualifications and experience and includes a strong benefits package (Health, Dental, retirement, Flex Spending for medical and transit). Position location is Oakland, California although we will consider New York applicants.
Urgent Action Fund is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
How to Apply:
Please submit cover letter, and resume to email@example.com, with “Philanthropic Engagement Manager” in the subject line. Cover letters may be addressed to the hiring manager: Kate Kroeger, Executive Director. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. The position is open until filled. No phone calls please.