About Hirsch Philanthropy Partners
Hirsch Philanthropy Partners believes in actively creating a more equitable and uplifting world through meaningful, high-impact collaboration.
As a pioneer in the field of philanthropic advising, Hirsch Philanthropy Partners has more than two decades of experience helping individuals, families, and foundations create and implement visionary giving strategies. Our team directs over $115M annually to the organizations, community leaders, and public sector agencies boldly solving our most pressing social issues. Our deep Bay Area and national roots and relationships catalyze potent connections and ignite change.
Our ability to bring people together to solve problems, belief in the possibility of innovative methods and surprising ideas, and courage to make the world better in spite of great disparities serve as the foundation for our work. We ask the right questions, design original solutions, and take big ideas to the next level.
While our world is complex and our challenges greater than ever, Hirsch's vision, optimism, and experience forge an ambitious path in response to growing and shifting demands. We know what’s possible because we’ve created impact for more than 20 years. Our team believes in the power of creating deep, systemic change for future generations. We believe that our work can transform the world.
Our talented staff have served as leaders of national nonprofits and congressional offices, management consultants, advertising executives, foundation staff, teachers, and advocates. We are specialists in a wide range of issues including education, democracy, health, racial and economic justice, environmental protection, the arts, community development and more.
For more information about our firm, please visit our website: www.hirschphilanthropy.com
The Managing Director will have the opportunity to help propel Hirsch Philanthropy Partners to the next level of performance in a growing and rapidly evolving industry.
The firm has more than tripled in size over the last several years and continues to expand at a fast pace. Our significant growth is one of the key reasons why this new Managing Director role is being 2 added. Working in close partnership with the CEO and the Senior Management Team (SMT), the Managing Director will lead Hirsch Philanthropy Partners’ business development efforts.
Key measures of success for this role will be driving new client acquisition and development, establishing big picture partnerships with public and private leaders, and working seamlessly with other members of the firm to manage the enterprise. The Managing Director will also oversee and lead key client engagements.
We are seeking a unique business leader, one who is results and mission-driven, seasoned and agile, strategic and process-minded. The ideal candidate will have experience building a professional services practice and organization, leading teams, delivering extraordinary client service and contributing to a high-performance culture comprised of diverse and talented professionals.
• Facilitate the firm’s business development strategy and capabilities, including active engagement in the community and professional networks to expand recognition of the brand and the cultivation of prospects;
• Oversee engagements with philanthropic individuals and institutions including:
- Creation of long-term strategies;
- Oversight of the coordination and management of these client engagements;
- Development of the grant recommendations and relationships with grantees and community beneficiaries on behalf of clients;
- Management of the teams who handle high profile grants and complex programs; and
- Lead the firm’s development of expertise in systems and policies shaping our community’s most critical issues, and coordinate with other funders and key players, to design comprehensive change strategies
• Drive new business development on behalf of the firm;
• Be a widely recognized thought leader in one or more areas of philanthropy that contribute significantly to the field and is recognized as such;
• Lead and mentor staff to achieve a versatile, high-performing team with solid relationship and business development skills; and
• Take on other roles to support key needs of Hirsch Philanthropy Partners, as necessary
Skills, Qualifications & Characteristics
We are seeking a candidate who is passionate about the work and the core values of Hirsch Philanthropy Partners and is driven by our mission to create high-impact change. The ideal candidate will have proven experience in serving clients, having built a successful practice around philanthropy, or a related business, and managing programs and investments.
Skills and Qualifications
• Broad experience (10+ years) leading a professional services or consulting practice with success in driving new business and new client development;
• Demonstrated success in revenue generation and managing profitability;
• Comfortable overseeing the development and management of large-scale public-private programs;
• Track record of building relationships in philanthropy, public sector and business, cultivating high net worth individuals, foundation executives and other partners;
• Significant personal networks within the philanthropic and donor communities;
• Knowledge of mechanics of the donor world, e.g. board governance, legal structures, funding mechanisms such as donor-advised funds;
• Recognized leader in policymaking, planning or administration in a relevant field;
• Deep knowledge of the current issues of importance to the community and the Bay Area;
• Demonstrated ability to convene local and national lay and professional committees and organize interdisciplinary initiatives;
• Significant leadership and organizational skills having managed teams of professionals with the ability to enforce accountability, develop and empower professionals;
• Strong written and verbal communications skills, including significant experience in successfully crafting client proposals, publishing persuasive articles, and making inspiring and insightful presentations in front of clients and prospects; and,
• Advanced degree in business administration or other relevant field highly desired
Characteristics of a Successful Candidate
• Adept at building relationships with high net worth individuals and influential leaders in both the institutional donor and beneficiary communities;
• Comfortable leveraging relationships into client consulting engagements;
• Drawn to diverse groups of people working at the top of their field;
• Natural speaker in front of both large and small groups;
• Responsive to clients’ interests;
• Thrives in a leadership role;
• Ability to work with humor and grace under pressure;
• Creative and innovative problem solver;
• Possesses intellectual curiosity — constantly exploring and learning; and
• Collegial, collaborative team member
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation includes a competitive base salary, bonus and an excellent package of health, retirement savings and other benefits.
• Medical, Dental, & Vision Coverage, and Disability & Life Insurance: we offer several options for affordable healthcare coverage. In addition, we also provide life insurance, disability and other coverages.
• Paid Time Off and Holidays: we offer a competitive PTO package and an additional ten paid holidays each year.
• Flexible Work Arrangements: our firm supports a flexible work arrangement and offers eligible employees up to two remote workdays per week.
• 401(k) plan offered to eligible employees following 3 months of employment. Hirsch will match 3% of eligible compensation (immediate vesting), regardless of whether the employee participates in the plan.
• Additional Benefits: we also offer a pre-tax commuter benefit, flexible spending account, and volunteer leave.
*The company reserves the right to modify and change benefits as needed and at their sole discretion.
Location: San Francisco Preferred
For an initial conversation to explore this position or learn more, please contact Lisa Long at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We promote diversity of thought, culture and background. We are committed to a collaborative work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and provides employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.