Position: Manager, Collaborative Philanthropy
Department: Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
Reporting to: WPPG Director
Location: Denver, CO
Walton Enterprises is seeking a proactive, detail oriented, and execution-focused individual to join the team as a Manager, Collaborative Philanthropy.
About the Position
The Manager, Collaborative Philanthropy is a new position that will play a critical role in laying the groundwork for a platform to facilitate effective collaboration on shared social impact goals among Walton family households. This role has three key functions:
- Facilitate defined and emerging social impact collaboration among Walton family households
- Facilitate knowledge management and information sharing on areas of shared interest among Walton family households
- Serve as an expert resource to WEI and ecosystem leadership on effective collaboration
Collaborative efforts will be focused on targeted issue areas and geographies using a range of grant making and social impact tools, including advocacy and/or investments. This is a new position and may evolve over time. Comfort operating within ambiguity and an entrepreneurial spirit are critical for success. This Denver-based position will report to the WPPG Director.
The form of collaboration will vary based on needs, interests, and desired outcome, and the type of support needed will be custom to each collaboration. The responsibilities below are indicative of the types of support we foresee.
What you will do
Facilitation (~50% of time)
- Convene and facilitate groups of household teams working on common social impact objectives for information sharing. Both own administration of groups (i.e., scheduling, note taking) and serve as a strategic thought partner.
- Identify and steward opportunities to grow or deepen the impact of collaborative efforts.
- Support partnership management by facilitating and coordinating communication with shared grantees.
- Partner with subject matter experts and internal leads to curate learning opportunities and other value-adding content (e.g., research, convenings) around areas of shared interest.
Knowledge Management and Info Sharing (~40% of time)
- Develop and maintain repository of household interest areas for proactive and opportunistic collaboration.
- Develop and manage knowledge hubs for common interest areas.
- Identify and administer or support communication mechanisms to share information on common areas of interest.
Advisory (~10% of time)
- Serve as an expert resource on best practices for effective collaboration.
- Facilitate nascent collaborations; assess and diagnose needs – including, but not limited to, structure, staffing, platforms, and tools used.
- Work with departments across Walton Enterprises (e.g., Legal, Tax, Walton Investments) to model innovative approaches to collaboration as needed.
- Ensure a positive experience for collaboration participants through superior client service; be proactive in anticipating needs, effectively communicate progress, and provide accurate, timely resolution of issues when they arise.
- Effectively manage workflow and processes through clear communication that is simple, effective and customized.
- Manage other projects and assignments as requested.
Who we are looking for
You are a strategic self-starter who can tackle complex issues, synthesize varied perspectives and assets toward common goals, and effectively work with diverse stakeholders, all in service to the Principals and their goals for social impact. You have superior client service skills and instincts and can serve as an expert advisor and facilitator for Principals and their teams in their social impact efforts. You are excited by the prospect of building something new and not intimidated by ambiguity.
Qualifications required for your success
- 7+ years of work experience that includes grantmaking work with social entrepreneurs and / or non-profit executives resulting in demonstrated fluency in philanthropy
- Familiarity and comfort with impact investing and advocacy, and understanding of how to use various impact tools as part of a holistic strategy
- Experience facilitating collaboration and working with diverse stakeholders to achieve on shared goals
- Experience developing and/or maintaining knowledge management resources
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Adaptive mindset and flexible disposition
- Creative problem-solver with natural intellectual curiosity
- Demonstrated ability to learn new context areas and approaches to social impact
- Strong time management and organizational skills including experience managing multiple project flows
- Experience acting as a trusted advisor to clients, colleagues and consultants
- Understanding of private foundation compliance
- Strong PowerPoint and Excel skills
Additional Helpful Experience Includes
- Experiencing developing social impact strategies
- Experience in a consulting and/or investment firm
- Experience structuring and/or managing impact investments
- Experience facilitating adult learning opportunities
Personal attributes that support your success
- Strong orientation for client service; ability to assess and meet Principals’ goals and preferences. A passion to serve in a way that demonstrates respect and care for family and staff and exceeds expectations
- Comfort with and ability to toggle between execution-oriented tasks and strategic thinking
- Intellectual agility and the ability to analyze, think critically, develop strategic approaches, and understand varied areas of interest. Able to effectively synthesize information and glean key points from research as well as interactions with Principals, their teams, and others
- Comfortable working autonomously but also with a broader team serving Principals. Able to be flexible and adaptable, comfortable with uncertainty
- Ability to serve as a trusted advisor to Principals, colleagues and grantees and exhibit humility, integrity and exercise sound judgement and confidentiality
- Relentless in the pursuit of excellence and continuous improvement. You give and receive feedback graciously, all with the aim of improving the experience and success of Principals.
About the Walton Personal Philanthropy Group
The Walton Personal Philanthropy Group (WPPG) provides services to the family of Sam and Helen Walton to support their individual philanthropic activities. These services for the family and their related entities include program and grant management, strategy consulting and grant administration. WPPG is a part of Walton Enterprises, the family office of the Walton family.
About Walton Enterprises
Walton Enterprises supports the personal, philanthropic and business activity for the Walton family. We are a family-led organization, supporting multiple generations of Sam & Helen Walton’s family.
Walton Enterprises is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace that is free of discrimination and harassment of any kind. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.