The Internal Communications Manager will create and manage internal communications for Tides staff and Tides Center employees. Guided by the strategic internal communications plan, ensure that every communication speaks in Tides’ internal voice, upholds Tides’ values, and reinforces a positive culture of transparency, equity, and impact. Working alongside the Interim Director of Marketing & Communications, coordinate with the other members of the Marketing & Communications team to ensure alignment between internal and external communications and marketing initiatives. This is a temporary position expected to end in August of 2021.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Internal Communications Strategy & Execution (75%)
- Project manage internal communications projects end-to-end, including coordinating and managing multiple stakeholders, moving content through the required review and approval process, and ensuring alignment with Tides values and voice
- Partner with internal Tides stakeholders to craft messaging that aligns with the internal strategic communications plan, goals, and objectives
- Ensure that organizational changes and updates are shared on a regular basis across multiple channels so that San Francisco and New York staff feel informed, connected, and empowered in their work
- Craft communications that align with Tides values and priorities and that are intended to educate and engage staff around organizational priorities/decisions and that build a positive, values-based culture
- Own the project management and editorial direction of the monthly Tides Digest, the Tides internal communications newsletter, including sourcing content from multiple stakeholders, editing to a unified voice, and working with Marcommunications and IT to build out each month’s digest
- Manage one-off internal communications requests from internal stakeholders including MarComms external communications and PR team members
- Provide internal executive communications expertise and project management to support the Tides leadership team, including crafting email messages, talking points, scripts, and presentations to explain company policies, decisions, and financial updates, and provide the support needed for leadership to deliver these messages effectively and authentically
- Partner with the People Team (HR) to craft communications updating staff and Tides Center partners about policies, procedures, benefit enrollments, performance review process, etc.; communicate efforts around organizational culture, diversity, equity and inclusion
- Partner with Legal, Risk & Compliance (LRC) to craft communications updating staff and Tides Center partners about legal policies and procedures
- Interact, inform, and coordinate with Tides Advocacy (TA) on important internal communications to ensure transparency and alignment
Organizational Task Force and MarComm Team Meetings (15%)
- Attend all MarComms Department team meetings, status and report on ongoing internal communications projects, and identify opportunities for streamlining and collaboration with other MarComms team members
- Provide internal communications support for multiple internal tasks forces and committees. Attend regularly scheduled, cross-departmental team meetings to advance goals of task forces, including:
- Security Working Group: advances a culture of collective safety and security through scenario planning, engaging with strategic partners, and training staff
- Incident Response Team: complete strategic organizational planning to respond to COVID-19, assess staff needs, and communicate ongoing decisions related to the pandemic and its impact on how we work
- Impact Model Take Force & Internal Socialization Presencing Team: focus on shaping the language of the model, presenting the model to internal stakeholders/approvers, and messaging/workshopping the language with staff
- Staff Engagement Committee: brings a lens to the needs of Tides’ staff and ensures efforts to “meet them where they are” in the advancement of the Tides spirit, mission, vision and approach
Relationship Management (10%)
- Serve as the internal communications manager, and point of contact for all Tides departments, including the Executive Team, People Team (HR), Social Venture Partners Client Services, Legal Risk & Compliance, Finance, and more.
- Serve on key interdepartmental task forces focusing on initiatives ranging from safety and security to Tides’ Impact Model, ensuring that task force work is shared with staff and that staff have the opportunity to ask questions and have their voices heard.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- A strong understanding and alignment with Tides Vision, Mission and Approach
- Proven internal communications experience and ability to build trust-based relationships when creating compelling messaging and narratives, leveraging data and facts
- Strong ability to write and synthesize information to convey main points and next steps using appropriate tone and voice
- Ability to work effectively with people from different cultures, backgrounds, and perspectives
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including planning and managing projects both independently and with colleagues
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to build trust and rapport with internal stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize amongst multiple commitments, and to drive multiple high-profile and complex projects simultaneously in a challenging and fluid environment
- Interest in using and incorporating new and emerging technologies to facilitate internal communications
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Box, Google Drive/Docs, Slack or similar tools
- A strong work ethic and sense of humor
- Ability to be strategic and to execute on aspects of the Tides internal communication plan to build culture, create an environment of transparency and open communication between leadership and staff, and inspire and motivate staff to do their best for Tides and our partners
- Experience strategizing and executing on internal executive and organizational change management communications
- Experience engaging staff and proactively working with a variety of internal stakeholders, from senior executives and human resource staff to department managers and staff committees
- Ability to grasp, appreciate, and work with cultural nuances, and support and elevate diversity, equity, and inclusion across communications
Education & Experience
- B.A./B.S. or higher degree in Marketing or Communications. Relevant work experience may be substituted for a college degree
- 6-8 years of relevant and applicable work experience in nonprofit communications or internal communications in a similar role
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.