Tides is a foundation and nonprofit partner committed to building a world of social justice and shared prosperity. Founded in 1976, Tides’ works at the cutting edge of today’s biggest challenges, with a focus on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals, families, and communities; and education. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Human Resources Manager is responsible for providing high-quality HR services to an assigned client group in the areas of HR strategy, general policy, employee and management coaching, employee relations, performance management and other high touch human resource services. The Human Resources Manager is hands-on and provides full cycle HR support to drive functional excellence. Delivering on these commitments in a thoughtful, timely, accurate, and professional manner is critical to success in this role.
The Human Resources Manager is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule. This position will be based in San Francisco.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with senior-level managers and staff at assigned client groups, as well as internal colleagues across Tides
- Provides advisory on HR strategy as well as best practices for staff and managers; develops policies in collaboration with HR management team
- Partners with HR colleagues and leaders to ensure consistent delivery of policy application and quality assurance of all HR services, resources, and tools
- Interprets and applies employee handbook, policies, procedures consistently across assigned client groups; ensures compliance with applicable federal, state and local labor laws, rules and regulations
- Provides coaching, guidance, and conflict management resolution to staff and managers: encourages creative and innovative solutions
- Ensure managers adhere to Tides best practices for preparing and processing new hires, employee changes, and other related items
- Partners with clients to develop accurate job descriptions in compliance with FLSA regulations and best practices; provides guidance on job classifications
- Researches and provides recommendations in areas such as compensation, performance management, employee relations, and professional development
- Provides new employees with Tides on-boarding materials; answers any questions that arise
- Conducts investigations and researches employee complaints for assigned client groups in collaboration with HR management team
- Develops and conducts HR training for assigned projects, including orientation and skills training
- Pro-actively conducts periodic on-site HR visits to client sites to assess needs and future goals
- Serves as liaison with outside legal counsel on HR related legal issues of assigned client groups and represents Tides at regulatory agency hearings.
- Manages project related HR Initiatives and performs other duties and projects as assigned by Senior HR Manager.
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
- Demonstrated ability to hold information strictly confidential
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties
- Substantial experience with SalesForce and ADP Workforce Now software a plus
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products
- Ability to communicate effectively and efficiently in person, by phone and via email
- Ability to understand business goals and recommend new approaches
- Experience with rapid and complex changing work environments
- Strong coaching and mentoring skills; ability to navigate complex employee relations matters with tact and confidence
- Demonstrable expertise in providing unparalleled customer service
- Enthusiastic team player with a strong commitment to create a positive and engaging work environment
- Ability to interface successfully at all levels of the organization
- Excellent critical thinker able to make solid judgments, decisions and solve problems
- Understanding of local, multi-state and federal employment regulations, laws and best practices
- Strong project management skills with the ability to balance competing demands and satisfy conflicting needs with tact and diplomacy
- Strong experience using payroll and human resources software
- Strong organizational and tracking skills required
- Ability and willingness to travel occasionally to local client sites and also on infrequent long-distance business trips
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Human Resources or related field; advanced degree preferred
- 5+ years of HR Generalist and/or HR business partner experience
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred, but not required
The Human Resources Manager works to achieve objectives by developing effective, proactive working relationships with all assigned employee/client group staff and managers in partnership with the HR management team. This position requires effective management of all high level Human Resources support services and related activities to ensure a high functioning, productive and effective client work environment that fosters learning, teamwork and a motivated work force.
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodation can be made to enable people with disabilities to perform the described essential functions of the job.
- Must be able to clearly communicate with others to understand them and to be understood.
- Must be able to read and compose documents so that their intent is easily understood.
- Must be able to lift at least ten pounds from the floor to four feet above the floor.
- Must be able to effectively use a computer and telephone to conduct business for the duration of the entire work day.
- Must be able to maneuver between two (2) floors and within small office spaces
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume should include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this role. No phone calls please.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.