Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Grant Financial Analyst works as part of a team of 16 accountants, providing direct client support and addressing the accounting and analytical needs of our fiscally sponsored organizations. This role is strategically minded and assists our partners in achieving their mission by supporting their financial processes including, financial planning and budgeting, analyzing financials and grant management for foundation and governmental funds. This role will develop financial models, prepare projections, provide monthly financial reports which include key metrics, graphical presentations, and variance analysis for presentation to partners and senior management.
This position will be included in the collective bargaining agreement with SEIU 1021.
What You Will Do
- Provide excellent customer service related to accounting, reporting, grant management, budgeting, and analysis including consistent accounting treatment of all transactions and timely, accurate reporting
- Ensure that the daily financial and accounting functions are in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and all applicable regulatory requirements including those set forth by the Federal Accounting Standards Board (FASB), and legal rules and regulations for non-profit operations designated as IRS 501(C)(3) and 501(C)(4) organizations
- Provide documentation for the federal and state tax return preparation, and supports annual financial audits and single audits (OMB A-133) as needed including agency monitoring visits, and ensuring “audit readiness” of assigned grants
- Training all project staff to fully understand and analyze financial statements
- Approve all cash disbursements for partner caseload and monitor partner cash flow to ensure compliance with funder regulations and Tides’ cash management policies
- Ensure financial transactions are recorded with precision to ensure compliance and adherence to proposed budgets and accurate financial and progress reporting
- Prepares and presents monthly financial reporting package which includes statement of financial position, statement of activities, cash-flow reports, tracking KPIs, budgets/ re-forecasts and written variance analysis to partners and external/internal management team
What You Will Bring
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- 5 years of demonstrated experience working in accounting and financial analysis. This includes experience with:
- FAR, CFR and relevant OMB circulars as well as GAAP/FASB standards
- Non-profit accounting, government grant management and financial analysis (highly preferred)
- Presenting financial information and models - using Excel and other tools - in a concise and easily comprehensible manner
- Enterprise-wide accounting systems such as NetSuite, Blackbaud Financial Edge, or Microsoft Dynamics
- CRM platforms (Tides utilizes Salesforce)
- BA/BS or higher degree, or equivalent experience may be substituted for a college degree
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in Q1 of 2022.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.