The Laura Arrillaga-Andreessen Foundation (LAAF.org) is actively searching for a full-time External Affairs Manager to join the Foundation. Interested candidates should submit a cover letter and resume using this link. The application deadline for this position is October 16; however, we will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
LAAF.org is an operating (non-grantmaking) foundation that provides an educational content platform to inspire, educate and empower ALL individuals to give, live and lead in a way that matters more. We are a small but mighty team that believes in hard-work (“slaying it”) but also making time for work-life balance (i.e. catching up on the latest reality T.V.—Bachelor Nation and Selling Sunset anyone?). We are a highly collaborative group that values each team member’s perspective and are open to embracing new creative directions with our work (ideation is our middle name!). We also love to have dance parties after a long week to relax and celebrate our impact (have you heard our Founder’s latest Spotify playlist?). We are passionate about working with the next generation of change-makers through our Founder’s Stanford Graduate School of Business courses and democratizing access to this content through digital media and external affairs. Our organization’s culture and values provide opportunities for team members to practice what we preach through mentorship, grant-making and professional development. We pride ourselves on attracting creative and socially impact-driven individuals with self-imposed accountability and a commitment to excellence alongside an appreciation of fabulous books, music and pop-culture. LAAF.org aims to be a leader in programs and resources related to women in leadership, giving and the founder’s “legacy leadership” model.
LAAF is seeking a skilled communicator to join the team at a critical time as the Foundation scales-up its external communications to reach a wider audience with our educational content. The External Affairs Manager (EAM) will support both the Founder—Laura Arrillaga Andreessen—as well as the Foundation in our efforts to grow our reach through strategic communications, social media engagement, external events and new content development. The EAM will work with our senior leadership to execute our new strategic plan, which is largely grounded in external relations, as well as help to position our Founder (and the Foundation) as a leading voice in the field(s) of philanthropy and women and leadership. The EAM must be a skilled writer with experience developing content—both long and short-form—for online audiences. They must also have experience developing and implementing social media strategy with an eye towards growing online followers and engagement, as well as evaluating analytics to track and measure performance.
The EAM will also be responsible for helping proactively advance the Founder’s thought-leadership through traditional and new media channels, overseeing the writing and editing of event scripts, speeches, external documents, reports, and drafting social media messaging for the Founder primarily through her LinkedIn account. Additionally the EAM will work in partnership with the Founder’s public relations team to draft and review public communications of all kinds, responses to and preparations for speaking engagements and external messaging to ensure a consistent Founder and LAAF brand identity and messaging. The EAM will work closely with the Founder as a thought partner, researcher, draft writer and support, as she creates unique content and shares her existing content in both proven and new formats—for activities including delivering a keynote address, authoring an article, chairing a board meeting, attending a convening or meeting, preparing for a high-profile meeting, etc.
The EAM reports to the Executive Director, but works closely with the Founder. This position will initially be remotely-based and the organization is open to considering part-time remote work (based on high performance) when it is safe to return to our Menlo Park office.
Sample job responsibilities:
- Work with the ED to build out LAAF’s digital media strategy, complete with target metrics, outputs and deliverables. Oversee successful implementation of the strategy, which includes developing and overseeing LAAF’s social media content calendar, drafting posts for the Foundation and Founder, scheduling posts and evaluating analytics.
- Developing new content sections of the LAAF website to demonstrate the organization’s impact and feature new educational content. Managing and updating as appropriate the Founder’s profile page on the LAAF website and her academic and board profiles.
- Manage Founder’s social media profile, including her LinkedIn Page, which includes responding to invitations, drafting posts on her page and on her LAAF student alumni group pages. Work creatively to connect the Founder’s academic content to reach a wider audience on social media.
- Work with the ED to manage LAAF’s external partnerships as they require the Founder’s participation and engagement both online and in-person.
- Work with the Founder’s public relations team and LAAF team to execute and implement the Founder’s thought-leadership plan, as well as propose and execute new ways for the Founder to digitally engage with her followers.
- Respond to inbound requests for the Founder and help respond to requests for meetings and engagements for the Founder. This includes attending meetings at the request of the Founder to capture notes and action items as appropriate. The EAM will work closely with the Founder’s Executive Assistant (EA) to stay abreast of Founder’s commitments as needed to track, prioritize and ensure successful completion of all required tasks.
- Draft talking points for Founder’s public events, liaise with event organizers to organize all the speaking arrangements and prepare Founder for maximum success.
- Attend events with or as a representative of the Founder and/or Foundation, as requested.
- Work with the Founder and LAAF team to produce new multimedia educational content for external consumption on the website and social media channels.
- Help develop and draft content for LAAF quarterly newsletters and corresponding content.
- Update and manage LAAF database of contacts for external facing communications and outreach.
- 5+ years of professional experience working in external relations, public relations or a related field.
- Superb writing skills and demonstrated experience writing content for website, social media and more general external audiences. A love and passion for writing and a highly trained editorial eye are essential for this role!
- Demonstrated experience using social media platforms (Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter), scheduling tools (such as Later and Hootsuite) and analytic tools (such as Google Analytics) in a professional setting. Knowledge of paid advertising on social platforms is highly desired.
- Demonstrated experience developing and executing communications strategy and creative content campaigns for clients and/or organizations with proven success.
- Demonstrated success in building relationships across diverse organizations and with individuals of all backgrounds and ages (ie. students, social changemakers, non-profit executives, philanthropists, c-suite executives, industry leaders).
- Bachelor’s Degree with a track record of academic excellence. A Master’s degree in a related field is desired, but not a requirement, for the role.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and coordinate projects across multiple areas of interest.
- Highly detail-oriented and thrive at both multitasking and organization.
- A passion for academic work, education and empowering students.
- A growth mindset, ready to help wherever needed and quickly learn new skills and research new areas to effectively support Founder’s work.
- Comfortable working with a small, highly-collaborative team and having the flexibility to operate across different functional areas with a ‘no job is above me or below me’ mentality.
- High emotional intelligence, empathy, conscientiousness and professionalism.
- Stellar work ethic, positive attitude and highly adaptive.
- Superb ability to manage up, as evidenced by noteworthy success working directly with and supporting senior academics/executive leaders.
- Proficiency with Canva for design purposes and Squarespace for website design and development is desirable but not a required skill set.
Notes on the interview process:
Candidates will be required to participate in a written exercise, and submit samples of their work for review.
As an organization committed to intentionally inclusive leadership, LAAF.org actively seeks and values diversity. We look forward to reviewing applications from all qualified candidates. For questions concerning the role, please contact LAAF’s Executive Director Sarina Beges-Thysen at email@example.com or review our website for more details at laaf.org.