About the East Bay Community Foundation
Founded in 1928 and supported by over 400 local donors, the East Bay Community Foundation partners with fundholders, social movements, and the community to eliminate structural barriers, advance racial equity, and transform political, social, and economic outcomes for all who call the East Bay home. The Foundation is committed to advancing a Just East Bay, where all members of our community are treated fairly; resulting in equitable opportunity and outcomes for all. Today, EBCF manages over $800 million in community-based assets and offers charitable tools, funds, and investment options to enable donors to give smartly. For more information, visit ebcf.org.
East Bay Community Foundation (EBCF) is embarking on a new direction in its relationships with more than 500 donors to align their giving with a deeper analysis and reflection about the structural root causes of the persistent and growing inequities in our region. The Donor Services & Administrative Support (DSAS) team collaborates with all internal and external partners with an emphasis on workflow management, providing excellence in grant making, donor services, compliance, and enabling the continued growth of EBCF.
The Donor Services Associate is responsible for: (1) successfully supporting fund administration process and donor stewardship needs; (2) supporting the development and donor services teams in the efficient execution of internal systems updates, process/workflow management and resource maintenance; and (3) coordinating events logistics hosted by EBCF. This position is perfect for someone with a desire to support an organization steeped in social justice causes, a passion for developing efficient administrative process and willingness to learn the compliance involved in the administration of the various financial vehicles managed by EBCF. It combines attention to detail, exemplary customer service, flexibility, and the desire to support a resourceful team. We are seeking a skilled professional who is excited about this new direction and the passion and experience to help make it all happen.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Fund Management & Customer Service:
- Draft and send donor and fund holder agreements, including the creation of database profiles
- Prepare and send donor communications, regarding new fund creation, fund updates, gifts, grants, and financial statements
- Provide excellent customer service, including promptly replying to queries and following up on administrative details
- Donor Services Support:
- Process gift contributions, special gifts, stocks, and others; work closely with the Development Data Manager and Finance Department to monitor and ensure the accuracy of gift and donor information entry
- Produce donor acknowledgement letters and collaborate with Development and other colleagues to identify and generate special donor acknowledgments as needed
- Perform other data input into the donor database, including name and address changes to ensure profiles are up to date
- Deliver quality customer service to internal departments and external clients; as assigned, monitors helpdesk phone line and/or departmental email accounts and responds to inquiries promptly and professionally
- Collaborate with the Finance Department and perform research for audits as requested
- Maintain documentation to ensure IRS compliance of supporting organizations, membership tracking of board of directors and officers, and other special projects
- Coordinate and provide administrative support for giving circles. This includes, but is not limited to, scheduling meetings and events, taking meeting minutes, managing files and event calendars, completing billing and expense reports, and serving as a liaison between the client and other EBCF departments
- Events coordination:
- Assist in the design and implementation of donor development and Donor Services events such as donor and fund holder events, prospect gatherings, donor education sessions, and webinars
- Drive events coordination by spearheading collaboration with internal departments for scheduling, sending invitations, developing collateral and other general logistics needs
- Collaborate with Development Team in producing and managing event invitation lists and attendee lists, including tracking RSVPs, responding to inquiries, and maintain registration during events
- Represent EBCF professionally and with a sense of genuine warmth and hospitality at events
- Assist Communications Department in maintaining EBCF website, producing department-wide collateral, and creating donation pages through PayPal
- Undertake operational improvement initiatives, special assignments, and research projects identified by the Director of DSAS
Candidate will possess:
- Passion for the mission of EBCF to advance A Just East Bay.
- At least 2+ years of exceptional administrative or process management experience, preferably in a philanthropic-related institution or nonprofit.
- Relationship building skills with a wide range of people. Skilled and excited to build trust with people, listen, ask questions, responsive to feedback, and build authentic relationships around the issues they care about, and activating those interests towards social justice.
- Results-oriented: Someone who gets it done, is determined, creative, and solutions-oriented.
- Capacity minded: Someone who isn’t afraid to ask for help, clarification, or to point out “red flags” when something may impinge on meeting deadlines.
- Strong project management: A strong track record of creating work plans, setting goals, measurable targets, balancing multiple tasks and projects, and meeting deadlines; strong administrative acumen and an excellent attention to detail. Adept at providing effective and timely progress updates.
- Curiosity, creativity, and willingness to learn: Desire to approach each day with curiosity, humor, integrity, compassion, and optimism; someone who appreciates, can learn from, and build on EBCF’s rich history and tried and true models. Solicits and welcomes contributions from staff at all levels in the organization towards successfully building relationships with our donors and community members.
- Excellent communication skills: The ability to communicate in a timely manner in a remote work environment via phone and email, as well as with challenging conversations around class and race with people with wealth.
- Team-player: Happy to work with and learn from others. Have a ‘low ego, high output’ mindset. Highly collaborative, flexible, and open to shifting priorities and timelines, and an ability to identify new, creative solutions when challenges arise. Excited to build a stronger organization that operationalizes its new mission, vision, and values, internally and externally.
- An openness, fluency, and comfort in talking about oppressions such as racism, sexism, and classism, and an understanding of how their own experiences and background relate.
- Bachelor’s degree desired.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- Strategic thinking skills with energy, and the ability to think big picture, while also appreciating the importance of how the day-to-day administrative support contributes to EBCF’s mission.
- Knowledge of and relationships in the East Bay, particularly around philanthropy and its social justice landscape. Belief in the importance of organizing donors to become powerful participants and allies in local social justice movements.
- Knowledge of community foundations, private foundations, and nonprofit agencies.
We know there are great candidates who won’t fit everything we’ve described above, or who have important skills we haven’t thought of. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself.