The Tides Legal, Risk, & Compliance (LRC) team is seeking a Director of Legal. The LRC team is wholly and passionately dedicated to reducing and managing risk in order to allow Tides and its partners to pursue their shared mission of achieving a world of shared prosperity and social justice.
Reporting to the Chief Legal and Ethics Officer, the Director will manage and support the LRC team in advising on legal matters and providing risk assessments relevant to the work of Tides and its partners. In the course of their work, the Director will work closely with other departments within Tides, as well as Tides’ partners, to ensure that all Tides staff are able to carry out their work effectively, efficiently and responsibly, keeping in mind the long-term sustainability of the Tides organizations. The Director will also identify internal and external legal trends, effectively surface issues, provide leadership and thought partnership in structuring relationships with Tides partners, and provide guidance and recommendations to the Tides Executive Team.
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose—while our employee benefits support our team's talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States. We will be reopening our offices in the future, date to be determined.
This role presents an exciting and impactful opportunity for a creative lawyer to build, innovate, and lead a dedicated legal team for Tides and its incredible partners.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage LRC responses to inquiries from within the organization on domestic and international legal, risk and compliance matters, including but not limited to, tax, employment/labor, contracts, corporate governance, intellectual property and insurance.
- Ensure accuracy, timeliness, efficiency and consistency of LRC support provided to other departments.
- Stay up to date on key changes to law and best practices, and provide strategic advice to protect Tides’ operations and partners.
- Manage LRC support for fiscal sponsorship program of Tides Center, including legal, risk and compliance issues arising in connection with structure and operations of fiscally sponsored projects.
- Identify, investigate, and help resolve legal and risk issues raised by new partnership opportunities. Identify strategic solutions to issues presented by prospective partners and provide input to make the new partner vetting and intake process more sensitive to legal, risk and compliance issues.
- Manage legal support for Tides Foundation grant-making Funds, including Donor Advised Funds.
- Manage review and revision of Tides legal documents, including but not limited to, grant agreements, contracts, employment-related documents, software license and other information technology-related agreements, subscription agreements, legal policy and procedure documents, communications with governmental authorities, and operational and governance policies.
- Manage contracts/grants approval queue, including implementation of updates to process for contract review to enhance efficiency and quality of review.
- Work with Human Resources and outside counsel on issues of employment and labor law arising at Tides organizations, including fiscally sponsored projects.
- Coordinate responses to legal inquiries, including demand letters, subpoenas, litigation holds and responses to diligence requests.
- Review litigation opportunities for Tides entities and fiscally sponsored projects; make recommendations to Executive Team concerning participation in litigation.
- Monitor on-going litigation and support efforts at resolution, including settlement negotiations, mediations, etc.
- Manage and/or support staff training on legal topics, including internal policies and procedures, and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Manage and/or support development of effective legal, risk and compliance education and training tools for staff.
- Supervise attorneys and other LRC staff and manage day-to-day operations of LRC Department. Support continuing professional development and well-being of individual members of the LRC team; identify opportunities for team members to build skills and knowledge that contribute to their successful performance and job satisfaction.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- 8+ years’ experience in the areas of general corporate, tax, employment and/or nonprofit law.
- Detail-oriented, with ability to understand and appreciate and integrate larger goals and objectives.
- Flexible, with ability and commitment to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely and effective results.
- Demonstrated experience with long-term planning and strategy.
- Ability to foster a collaborative and inclusive environment, while advancing and achieving buy-in for implementation of new policies and procedures.
- Team player, with ability to collaborate cross-departmentally and with internal and external stakeholders.
- Management skills to facilitate and maintain a collegial, dynamic and effective team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with demonstrated ability to make legal issues accessible.
- Experience supervising attorneys and legal work.
- Juris Doctor and CA Law License required.
- Appreciation and understanding of Tides’ vision, mission, approach.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.