The Development Director, Major and Individual Gifts participates as a key memberof the San Francisco
General Hospital Foundation (the Foundation) fundraising team and is responsible for developing and
implementing strategies designed to engage individual major donors and prospects in ways that
encourage their substantial philanthropic investment in the Foundation and Zuckerberg San
Francisco General Hospital and Trauma Center (ZSFG).
- S/he will utilize Foundation and Hospital leadership and collaborate with hospital program managers to create opportunities to deepen the commitment of current and prospective individual donors and their understanding and engagement with ZSFG. This position works closely with and reports to the Chief Development Officer (CDO) on a comprehensive plan for seeking new and renewed major gifts for unrestricted and programmatic support and other special initiatives.
- S/he will be responsible for building and managing a portfolio of donors capable of making 5+ figure gifts and above.
- S/he will oversee a small team of development professionals: Annual Giving Manager/Officer, Events Manager, and the Database Coordinator. Management and Administration
- Develop revenue and expense budget; monitor and report on budget status
- Participate in the development of short and long‐term fundraising plans and projections, and provide progress/status reports
- Integrate plans between annual giving, event and major gifts to create a comprehensive moves management strategy within major gifts for individual donors and event attendees.
- Directly supervise and mentor three positions
- Oversee integrity of donor database (Raiser’s Edge/ NXT) ensuring that each department of the Foundation follows procedures to capture consistent and accurate data
- Oversee process and procedures related to gift administration and acknowledgements for all areas of fundraising Individual, Major Gift and Special Initiative/Campaign Fundraising
- Develop, implement and maintain a major and individual gifts program that deepens and expands the existing donor base at all levels of giving, with special focus on growing high‐end annual fund and individual major gifts
- Develop and personally manage a pool of 75‐100 individual donors and prospects who have the ability to make contributions of $25,000 or more
- Analyze donor database, current major donors and prospects to make recommendations for special initiative and campaign fundraising
- Organize and manage cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and recognition opportunities with Board, Hospital senior staff, and volunteers
- Conduct prospect research pertaining to the background, interests and capacity of current and prospective donors
- Analyze donor and prospect data to identify and qualify appropriate targets for unrestricted and restricted support using the database and other sources
- Maintain accurate and complete records of contacts and communications in Raiser's Edge, shared network and paper files
- Build relationships with hospital and community stakeholders to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the Foundation
- In close collaboration with the Annual Giving Manager/Officer and the Communications and Marketing Team, oversee creation and maintenance of fundraising materials targeted to major individual donors and prospects
- Working with CDO, Development Director ‐ Institutional and Corporate Giving and the Communications and Marketing team contribute to an integrated communications and development strategy, plan and messages
- Write gift agreements, proposals and reports as needed for specific donors
- Oversee planned giving solicitations and agreements working with legal and planned giving experts Create customized, timely communications with donors
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a donor recognition program
- Provide staff support as needed for the Annual Fund as well as annual fundraising events Special Events
- Oversee an events program that deepens and expands the existing donor base at all levels of giving, with special focus on growing high‐end annual fund and individual major gifts
- Working in tandem with the CEO, CDO and Events Manager, collaborate to manage major donor and board relationships for Hearts in SF annual fundraising event.
- Working with Events Manager, develop plans to solicit sponsorship, tables and/or tickets for Hearts in SF from board and major donors, and collaborate with Director of Institutional and Corporate Giving
- Manage, coach and mentor the Events Manager for Hearts in SF and any related events, salon series and activities on the journey to the main event
- Work with Events Manager to support other Foundation–led events
- Strive to achieve and exceed events fundraising goals while also building community coalitions of support The successful candidate will demonstrate the following:
- Strong and proven track record of cultivating, closing and stewarding gifts
Please submit a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name and Development Director, Major and Individual Gifts in the subject line. Due to the high volume of applications, please refrain from telephone calls, visits, faxes or emails (other than submissions) to the Foundation directly.
Please see the attached job description for more information.