Tides is Hiring!
Tides is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations committed to building a world of social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world's toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights, a sustainable environment, health individuals and communities, education, and economic development. Tides' services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces in San Francisco and New York City. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
2021 was a landmark year in Tides’ 45-year history. We are experiencing a unique and powerful opportunity for transformative change for the future in how we lead and impact social justice and shared prosperity. Taking committed actions to prepare for this change, we have welcomed an expanded and largely new executive team, partnered with a top-notch social impact consulting firm to revitalize our strategic plan, and focus our operational excellence initiatives, and grown our core staff significantly. These investments will help Tides to better serve our partners and bring our vision – of a world of shared prosperity and social justice – to life.
The Deputy Director, Business Operations is a core member of the Business Operations team at Tides. The Business Operations team’s mission and purpose is to provide reliable solutions and expertise to Tides’ internal business partners, and in doing so, give them the capacity to fully engage and support the needs of their respective clients. The Business Operations Team is involved in various projects working across the organization which includes improving performance through analysis of existing business problems and the development of future plans.
The Deputy Director, Business Operations will be responsible for leading our Business Operations team. This role leads our internal consulting team that is driving to provide operational excellence across the Tides network. This role will bring a strong management-consulting approach and big-picture thinking coupled with a focus on the details of operational implementation. This position will lead the team in identification and cross-utilization of best practices, analytical techniques, change management and coaching skills, and strategy development.
What you will do:
- Lead a team that serves as Tides’ internal business process consultants, identifying systems and processes to drive operational excellence, and support internal partners to ensure they are delivering for our partners.
- Support the team to be innovative, diligent, and take risks to drive operational improvements.
- Develop new approaches to address barriers and challenges impeding operational excellence for transformational impact.
- Manage projects with tight project timelines, accountabilities, and deliverables that meet partner objectives.
- Work across Tides departments to break through silos to develop systems and processes that support high-level organizational goals for impact and develop and institutionalize a continuous improvement roadmap to deliver key results across the organization.
- Leverage data and analytics to drive continual process improvement. Lead organization-level projects and initiatives to implement business processes that deliver value-add solutions for clients
- Participate in strategy planning, execution, and lessons learned in partnership with Senior Executives, Directors, and Managers.
- Be a driver in moving Tides forward in adopting technologies, systems, and processes to be the most efficient DAF and fiscal sponsor organization in our competitive space.
What you will bring:
- Strong alignment with Tides’ Vision, Mission and Approach and our organizational values of respect, equity, empowerment, accountability, and creativity
- Proven ability to simplify strategy into simple actions.
- Eagerness to contribute to a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to drive operational projects forward, including working across teams and managing change.
- Technologically savvy.
- Prior experience with Salesforce; NetSuite or CRM and ERP systems required.
- Appreciation and commitment to Tides’ vision, mission, and approach.
Education & Experience:
- 8-10 years mid to senior level professional experience.
- 8-10 years of experience in either back office/Business Process Outsourcing (BPO) operations or management consulting with a focus on operations.
- At least 5 years leading/managing teams, with success at growing teams and delivering results.
- MBA degree or comparable years or of relevant experience.
- Experience in change management across complex organizations.
- Experience leading and successfully delivering team engagements that require identification, prioritization, design, and implementation of scalable solutions.
Life at Tides
Working at Tides connects you with world-class teammates, enduring relationships, and an inspired sense of purpose - while our employee benefits support our team’s talent and well-being. This is an exciting time to join Tides. In the past, Tides staff have worked predominantly from our offices in San Francisco and New York. Today, our hybrid work model supports staff with remote work from anywhere in the United States.
Any Tides Network employee who wishes to use the office or travel to the office must be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 and boosted. You are required to submit proof of vaccination to the Human Resources Department at least 2 days before your first visit to the office. Employees who do not have vaccination information on file will not be permitted in the building.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.