The Contract and Compliance Specialist (the “Specialist”) will have primary responsibility for review and revision of contractual and grant agreements for Tides entities and fiscally sponsored projects. In particular, the Specialist will review both Tides-standard and non-standard contracts, identifying and resolving legal, risk and compliance issues associated with proposed agreements. Additionally, the Contract Specialist will develop an understanding of the Tides organizations to allow issue spotting and escalation of legal, risk and compliance issues to other members of the Legal, Risk and Compliance (“LRC”) team as appropriate. The Contract Specialist will work under the supervision of the LRC Director and work collaboratively with other members of the LRC team to ensure the contract review and approval process is efficient and effective. The Contract Specialist will also be responsible for day-to-day support of the lobbying time tracking system, preparing and filing lobbying registration and reports as needed. The ideal candidate for this position will uplift and embody Tides core values – Respect, Accountability, Creativity, Equity and Empowerment – in all areas of work and engagement with team members and partners.
The Contract Specialist is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time I order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
- Review and revise contractual agreements for Tides entities and fiscally sponsored projects
- Ensure that contract terms and conditions comply with Tides policies and applicable laws and regulations
- Ensure that the terms of contractual agreements are written in language that is legally binding and in accordance with Tides’ goals
- Identify compliance and risk issues reflected in contractual agreements and escalate issues to other members of LRC team
- Respond to inquiries from Tides staff and staff of fiscally sponsored projects concerning existing contractual obligations and termination of contracts
- Collaborate with LRC team on initiatives related to contracting process.
- Explain contracting process and requirements to Tides staff and staff at fiscally sponsored projects. Clearly explain contract terminology to interested parties in simple, everyday language
- Proofread, edit, and fact-check legal documents for accuracy and consistency
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of the lobbying time tracking system, including adding or removing staff, answering questions, following up as needed to get needed time reports in and approved.
- Analyze time reports to determine if additional registrations are required
- Prepare lobbying registrations and reports for review by Compliance Manager, and file such registrations and reports after approval.
- Track and organize lobbying guidance provided to Tides staff and fiscally sponsored projects
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Commitment to advancing Tides’ mission and values
- Advanced understanding of contracting concepts and principles
- Familiarity with legal frameworks governing organizations exempt from taxation under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
- Knowledge of current and legally binding contractual language and terminology
- Prior experience with lobbying or similar government reporting
- Ability to identify, analyze, and suggest solutions for problems
- Detail-oriented, with ability to understand and appreciate and integrate larger goals and objectives
- Flexible, with ability and commitment to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely and effective results
- Strong organizational skills and project management skills
- Manage a variety of activities and pay close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and prioritize tasks
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- High-level and consistent work ethic
Education and Experience
- 3+ years of legal or paralegal experience, preferably working directly with contract law
- Bachelor’s degree in business, law or relevant field; Juris Doctor preferred
- Familiarity with Salesforce and Microsoft Office suite
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.