Fiscal Management Associates, LLC. (FMA) is a growth-oriented management consulting firm dedicated to building the capacity of the nonprofit sector. We partner with our nonprofit and philanthropic clients to help them attain operational excellence, ensure financial sustainability and effectively achieve their desired impact. Our collaborative approach includes client input and involvement at each stage of an engagement, and at the core of every project we deliver is our commitment to developing strong and trusting relationships between funders and their grantees.
FMA is made up of a highly diverse team, coming from a wide range of cultural and economic backgrounds and representing a spectrum of race, age, ethnicity, ability, and sexual orientation. Our team works with leaders who are organizing youth movements, fighting against racial and gender inequities, using art for civic engagement, and providing fundamental services to those who need it most, to name a few. Our consulting and training services have consistently earned recognition for their pragmatism and relevance.
- FMA is seeking a full-time Consultant in the Bay Area to interact closely with clients on-site and virtually to provide accounting and/or consulting services.
- Responsibilities vary based on engagements and client needs and require a talented accounting professional with nonprofit accounting expertise and a consulting mindset. Duties may include any of the following:
- Deliver not-for-profit financial accounting services including accounting tasks, audit support packages, budget development and cash flow planning.
- Manage monthly financial close process, including ensuring all costs incurred are properly recorded, reviewing journal entries, account balance reconciliations and report preparation.
- Represent clients during audit process and liaise with audit team.
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of accounting policies and procedures and operational strategies including the review and implementation of process and system changes.
- Maintain continued focus on improving system efficiencies and business practices.
- Participate in developing new products, tools and templates to continually improve client and FMA processes.
- Supervise and lead client and FMA staff through training and guidance as needed.
- Assist with fiscal infrastructure reviews as assigned.
- Meet continuous stream of deadlines on multiple projects and engagements.
- Bachelor's degree with a major in Accounting, Finance or Business Administration (CPA preferred)
- 3+ years demonstrated accounting experience (Public Accounting experience a plus) with niche focus on nonprofit and/or government; or equivalent experience in nonprofit setting and/or financial management
- Strong knowledge of accounting systems and nonprofit accounting principles, practices, standards, laws and regulations; knowledge of government funding preferred
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software
- Strong spreadsheet skills, particularly Excel
- Must be collaborative, proactive, independent and flexible - and adapt easily to changing client needs
- 20% travel may be required (majority within California)
Our employees are encouraged and supported as they develop a broad range of skills through customized professional development and ongoing mentoring. We offer a highly collaborative environment, career enhancing work, competitive compensation, and full benefits.
FMA is proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin - and pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, this includes qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. We’re committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace and strongly encourage applicants from all backgrounds and walks of life. We don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, support it, and thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our services, and our community. Come join us.