About Tipping Point
Tipping Point’s mission is to break the cycle of poverty for people in the Bay Area who don’t have the resources to meet their basic needs. Since 2005, Tipping Point has raised more than $260 million for early childhood, education, employment, and housing solutions in the region. Our board covers 100% of our operating costs, so every dollar donated goes where it’s needed most. Last year, we helped more than 20,000 people connect to opportunities that break the cycle of poverty. Visit www.tippingpoint.org to learn more.
Tipping Point’s core values are at the heart of everything we do and we look for individuals who share our commitments:
- We are one community. We believe that the responsibility for fighting poverty belongs to all of us.
- We serve. Our approach is humble and respectful. We exist to meet the needs of others.
- We celebrate generosity. Every gift counts, whether big or small.
- We get results. We are relentless in the pursuit of our goals. We hold ourselves and each other accountable.
- We are always learning. We are risk takers. We commit to facing our challenges as we support solutions that last.
What will you do?
We are seeking an accomplished writer passionate about leveraging the power of storytelling to affect social change. The Communications Associate will sit on the External Affairs team and be assigned a range of projects with different audiences (donors, grantees, etc.). This role will serve as a contributing writer for communications assets such as developing first drafts of newsletters, event invitations, programmatic talking points, and everything in between. The Communications Associate will also contribute to digital strategy, selecting content for social channels, writing first drafts of content, and publishing to all channels.
This position reports directly to the Communications Director.
- Work in close collaboration with the Senior Writer to develop first drafts of content for Tipping Point’s impact to key constituencies (i.e. donors and grantees).
- Serve as key contributing writer for events throughout the year.
- Work in close collaboration with the Systems Information Administrator to regularly develop and update copy on website.
- Manage social content calendar, regularly solicit content from Communications team, and serve as writer and publisher for social media, ensuring consistency and coordination across all channels.
- Serve as a thought partner to Communications Director and the Senior Writer on Tipping Point’s digital and content strategy, executing strategy to connect digital channels with the goal of deepening donor engagement and growing visibility amongst potential donors.
- Serve as social media community manager, monitoring, responding when appropriate, and elevating potential opportunities/issues.
- Serve as project manager with external vendors executing paid digital marketing strategy to increase brand visibility (SEO, SEM, AdWords, paid support for social channels).
- Create regular reports with data and analysis of digital channel performance.
- Collaborate with the Information Systems Administrator on website maintenance and strategy as needed.
Note: We are a dynamic organization in a rapidly changing industry. Therefore, the responsibilities associated with this position will change from time to time in accordance with Tipping Point's needs. More specifically, the Communications Associate may be required to perform additional and/or different responsibilities from those set forth above.
Who are you?
- You have at least 3 years of experience as a communications professional. You are seasoned at supporting simultaneous projects from start to finish.
- You are a passionate writer and a storyteller. You have a gift for connecting with audiences through your strong writing skills. You are experienced at translating complex concepts into clear and actionable content.
- You get the power of social media. You have a proven interest and strong understanding of digital/ social media landscape.
- You are a creative problem solver. You have the ability to be proactive, and handle uncertainty and ambiguity. You get a kick out of digging deep and delivering the best results.
- You are passionate. Passionate about the issues, your role, our impact, or anything else. That passion energizes you.
- You are a team player. You understand the importance of working together towards a common goal and have experience. You have enthusiasm for the work, take initiative to support your colleagues, and are willing to pitch in at all times.
Nice to have*:
- Experience using data to tell a compelling story.
- Experience with photography and/or film.
- Experience partnering with user experience designers.
- Experience with the non-profit sector or with teams dedicated to developing strategic partnerships.
- Experience working on issues of poverty.
*“Nice to have” really means just that; it’s entirely possible that you don’t have any of these and are still a great fit. It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas — we’re looking for candidates that are particularly strong in a few areas, and have some interest and capabilities in others.
Salary + Classification
Tipping Point is committed to paying competitive wages. In an effort to increase equity, because we know that salary negotiations tend to have an unfair bias, we do not participate in a salary negotiation process for any candidate. We will make our best offer, and it will be the same regardless of the candidate. The annual starting salary for the Communications Associate role is $70,000. This is a non-exempt position as defined by state and federal law. Non-exempt employees are eligible for overtime pay.
Ready to change your life? Apply now!
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity company. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tipping Point will consider qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records for employment in a manner consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.