San Mateo, CA (Temporarily remote due to COVID-19 restrictions)
Position open: Jan 25, 2021
Please apply by Feb 15, 2021.
After Feb 15, we will accept applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Open Impact is a philanthropic advising firm which partners with accomplished business leaders, wealthy families, foundations, and intermediaries to envision, design, and accelerate their social impact.
Open Impact is seeking an Associate Consultant/Analyst to join its team. The position is full time for six months with the potential to convert to a permanent position thereafter.
You should be:
- A project manager known for your laser-focus, clarity, productivity, and attention to details.
- Able to synthesize qualitative and quantitative data and information into written and visual products that help our teams and clients get to insight and impact.
- An optimistic problem solver able to juggle and prioritize a wide range of parallel projects in different teams, with excellent planning and communication skills, judgment and efficiency.
- A self-starter with an ability to navigate ambiguity, drawn to a start-up environment where ideas, systems and structures are iterated, trial and error are expected, and no job is too big or too small.
- Have knowledge of the nonprofit, philanthropic, and/or investment sectors.
Open Impact is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a diverse team and strongly encourage women, persons of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, persons with disabilities, veterans, and persons from other underrepresented groups to apply. We strive to provide flexibility for working parents and caregivers.
Open Impact is a philanthropic advisory firm with a focus on strategy and philanthropic advising for families, individuals, and institutional foundations. We are a diverse team passionate about social change, with decades of lived experience as senior leaders in nonprofits and foundations. As a certified B Corporation founded and led by women, and based in Silicon Valley, CA, we support a more inclusive and sustainable economy through both our internal practices and the positive impact of our client engagements.
As a firm, we measure our success by the impact we’ve had through our client work, focusing on these leading indicators:
- The magnitude of wealth we’ve helped to unlock and accelerate: $12B to date
- The number and quality of client engagements completed: 60+
- The overall impact of our engagements and firm-led projects toward a more just, sustainable, and equitable world: using various metrics
- The impact of our thought leadership on the sector: 10+ well-read industry reports
Our name, Open Impact, seeks to capture our foundational values: impact and openness. We are single-minded in our pursuit of impact for the issues, leaders, organizations, and networks we serve. Our role is to act as guides, translators, trusted counselors, and catalysts to help our clients clarify their purpose and create much greater impact in the world.
For more information about our firm, please go to: www.openimpact.io
The Associate Consultant/Analyst would work with the firm’s client-facing teams to ensure high quality project execution and develop research content that meets the needs of clients and deliverables. Client projects range from research, strategy, facilitation, and writing. Team make-up can shift depending on the project, but each client team includes an engagement manager who drives the project, a senior partner who provides high-level facilitation and support, and an analyst. Key responsibilities include:
- Project management. Assist in day-to-day execution of a portfolio of consulting projects, which entails:
- Proposal development. For potential future projects and firm work, draft proposals, scopes of work, and budgets, as needed.
- Workplans. Develop engagement work plans, timelines, and deliverables.
- Staffing. Work with client-facing team to ensure effective and on-time project delivery, including coordinating internal and client meetings, setting agendas, managing to deliverable dates.
- Product development. Draft and edit project documents, reports, and PowerPoint presentations.
- Project convenings. Coordinate logistics, agenda-setting, execution, and follow-up of workshops, convenings, and events.
- Analysis. For client engagements, synthesize necessary research to identify key insights and ensure robust products. Specific responsibilities may include:
- Articulate and structure client research in a logical manner; design a method for answering key questions using research/data.
- Gather, analyze, and synthesize qualitative and quantitative data, including literature scans and online research.
- Conduct landscape scans and field analyses, using interviews, online research, and database searches.
- Concisely and clearly communicate synthesis through summaries and products, in written and PowerPoint formats.
- Proactively communicate to team any obstacles impeding project progression.
- Review deliverables for accuracy and quality.
- Grant Investment Portfolios. Provide a wide variety of support to various projects that entail developing grant portfolios for clients, including research, sourcing, due diligence, and grants management.
- Special projects. Provide occasional assistance on internal firm projects including research and writing for newsletters, blogs, and other intellectual property related projects.
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience.
- 2+ years of project management or other relevant experience.
- Experience leading and designing research.
- Knowledge of the social sector, including philanthropic, nonprofit, or impact investing fields.
- Excited by the potential to work with clients creating impact on critical issues of the day.
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work autonomously, self-manage, and manage up, particularly in dynamic and remote environments.
- Skilled in presentation development (e.g. PowerPoint).
- Exceptional analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to write clearly, succinctly, with a strong attention to detail, and aligned to the sensibilities and language of the target audience.
Our firm is a small, intimate environment where shared values are very important. As a new firm, we welcome learning and are open to new and different approaches. Successful candidates should exemplify the following:
- High EQ. Thoughtful, open-minded listener and thought partner with high emotional intelligence.
- Committed Communicator. Believes strongly in the importance of communicating early and often and creates mechanisms for doing so.
- Collaborative yet independent. Collaborative with experience flexibly supporting and leading teams, while also being comfortable working independently and being resourceful and accountable. Highly adaptable and humble in work style and approach.
- High integrity. Impeccable reputation for integrity and judgment; models ethics and trustworthiness in all actions. Personal and professional maturity. Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Ability to establish and maintain credibility and trust.
Base annual salary range is $68,000 - $75,000 depending on experience.
Apply by Feb 15, 2021
Interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply by sending a resume and a cover letter (of no more than one page) highlighting:
- Your qualifications and how they align to this opportunity,
- Areas where you have less experience, and
- Your commitment to social impact issues and causes, including lived, volunteer, and work experience.
Send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org