Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green non-profit center’s to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the non-profit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Accounting Supervisor, AP/AR, under the direction of the Accounting Manager - GL, is responsible for the Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable Department’s timely and accurate delivery of cash receipts and accounts payable services on a daily basis for Tides 5 entities including all our fiscally sponsored projects’ operations.
The Accounting Supervisor, AP/AR is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads, develops and supports direct reports including hiring department staff and/or consultants and oversees all aspects of supervision and management.
- Reviews and can perform all duties related to the processing of accounts payable which includes assessments of accounts payable coding, documentation, and proofing, and monitoring and processing exceptions and corrections.
- Review and can perform all duties related to the processing of cash receipts which includes coding, proofing, depositing, and entering daily cash receipts, performing account reconciliations, monitoring and processing exceptions and corrections to revenue fees, incoming wires and credit card charges.
- Reviews and posts revenue, accounts receivable, cash receipt, and accounts payable transactions prepared by AP/AR staff.
- Analyzes transactions to ensure correct account balances and well documented journal entries for various income statement and/or balance sheet accounts, including company purchase cards.
- Ensure accurate and timely Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable monthly financial closes.
- Implements and carries out accounting procedures according to GAAP (Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles), and in compliance with all laws, regulatory requirements, and generally accepted standards and best practices applicable to the organization.
- Assists in the preparation of schedules for annual and other external audits.
- Participates in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, projects and planning activities as needed.
- Develop systems to streamline processes and enhance team efficiency utilizing technology and improved workflows.
- Participates in the implementation of financial systems that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Generates and distributes various financial reports.
- Holds direct reports accountable to achieve Tides Strategic goals, team goals and work plans by ensuring team members have the appropriate skills and support to accomplish their objectives.
- Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrates the ability to work with confidential information and utilizes excellent judgement in identifying, analyzing and resolving accounts payable and receivable accounting issues.
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, time management, organizational and customer service skills.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and procedures utilized in a non-profit environment is preferred.
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties.
- Proficiency with NetSuite, Salesforce and MS Office suite of products.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members.
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting required.
- Non-profit accounting (including non-profit revenue recognition) preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position.
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.