Tides is a values-based, social change platform that leverages individual and institutional leadership and investment to positively impact local and global communities. Tides pursues multiple, related strategies to promote this mission. From green non-profit center’s to programmatic consulting, donor advised funds to fiscal sponsorship, grants management to risk management and more, Tides gives members of the non-profit and philanthropic community freedom to focus on the change it wants to see. For more information, please visit www.tides.orgOpens a New Window..
The Accounting Specialist, under the direction of the Accounting Supervisor AP/AR, is responsible for the timely and accurate delivery of accounts payable services on a daily basis for Tides fiscal sponsorship operations.
The Accounting Specialist is a non-exempt position. Non-exempt employees work a standard 40 hour work week. Time worked beyond 40 hours at manager’s discretion
- Process all Accounts Payable transactions including obtaining appropriate approvals/documentation, verifying coding, data entry, processing outgoing wires, ACH, and checks for expedited, and weekly check runs.
- Research, analyze, and resolve accounting issues in a timely manner.
- Process and manage month-end journal entries for P-Card purchases.
- Process, review and upload monthly fees for month-end close.
- Reconciliation of cash advances and petty cash accounts on a monthly bases. And prepare Journal Entries for review and proofing.
- Process year-end 1099s, including mailing, filing and corrections as required by the IRS.
- Assist with maintaining schedules and reconciliations of various accounts and preparation of journal entries.
- Assist in the preparation of annual audit.
- Participate in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, financial projects and planning activities as needed.
- Participate in the implementation and improvement of workflows that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Minimum of one-year experience in high-volume Accounts Payable, including knowledge of W9s and how it relates to 1099 reporting. Process journal entries, understanding the fundamentals of debits and credits.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working with Microsoft Word and Excel which includes working with formulas as in VLOOKUP, and Pivot Tables.
- Independent, motivated self-starter who collaborates well with colleagues and across internal teams
- Demonstrated commitment to social change and ability to engage in strategic thinking and conversation around issues of shared prosperity and social justice
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; keen eye for detail
- Exceptional project management skills and ability to set and meet deadlines
- Flexibility to assume a workload that frequently necessitates an adjustment of priorities
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products
- Proficiency with SalesForce desired
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite desired
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting preferred, or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting or equivalent years of related work experience.
- 1+ years of experience in a similar position.
Only candidates who meet the above-stated qualifications will be considered. Your resume must include a cover letter expressing your interest in working to support Tides and why you are qualified for this job. To upload your cover letter, add the file to the Attach Documents section at the end of the online application. No phone calls please!
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply. Pursuant
to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable
accommodation will also be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions.