Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.Opens a New Window.
The Accounting Manager – General Ledger, under the direction of the Director of Finance, is responsible for managing the General Ledger and monthly reporting for all entities under Tides umbrella.
The Accounting Manager - General Ledger is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary hours in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads, develops and supports direct reports including hiring department staff and/or consultants and oversees all aspects of supervision and management.
- Manage all aspects of the general ledger including monthly reporting for all Tides entities in close collaboration and partnership with the Director of Finance.
- Holds direct reports accountable to achieve team goals and work plans by ensuring team members have the appropriate skills and support to accomplish their objectives.
- Works to ensure that Tides staff recognizes the team as an actively contributing partner in achieving the strategic goals and objectives of Tides.
- Ensures transactions are analyzed to arrive at correct account balances, and journal entries are well documented, timely and accurate.
- Implements and carries out accounting procedures according to GAAP (Generally Acceptable Accounting Principles), and in compliance with all laws, regulatory requirements, and generally accepted standards and best practices applicable to the organization.
- Responsible for month-end and year-end closing.
- Prepares schedules for annual and other external audits.
- Participates in cross departmental and cross organizational teams, projects and planning activities as needed.
- Participates in the implementation of financial systems that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
- Generates and distributes various financial reports.
- Other duties, or projects, as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Demonstrates commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
- Demonstrates ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Demonstrates ability to maintain high-level and consistent work ethic in working relationships and all work related duties
- Proficiency with MS Office suite of products
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrates ability to identify, analyze and solve accounts payable and receivable accounting issues.
- The position requires the ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment.
- Strong problem solving, analytical, time management, organization and customer service skills.
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) concepts and procedures utilized in a non-profit environment is preferred
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or a Business Administration with an emphasis in accounting required
- 3+ years of experience in a similar position
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Reasonable accommodation will also be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.