Tides envisions a world of shared prosperity and social change founded on equality & human rights, healthy individuals & communities, a sustainable environment, and quality education for all. Tides accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve society’s toughest problems. For more information, please visitwww.tides.org.
The Accounting & Compliance Analyst works as a liaison with Tides’ Legal and Finance staff, projects and outside contractors to ensure that all issues related to programmatic compliance are met. This position is responsible for general compliance filings, developing and maintaining a tracking database of filing requirements by location, entity and due dates, preparing and posting charges related to compliance filings and preparing timely and accurate reporting. Document processes relating to all tasks. The position will also possess a working knowledge of the NetSuite financial system or similar ERP and will assist in the maintenance of operational policies and practices that facilitate efficient operation and financial management of the organization.
The Accounting & Compliance Analyst is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for sales and use tax activities, including analysis of accounts payable and sales transactions to validate tax treatment, preparation of sales/use tax returns, creation of tax accrual journal entries.
- File sales tax returns in all states as required; assist with sales tax audits.
- Prepare and renew business tax licenses and permits in all jurisdictions for existing and new projects
- Prepare annual filing of RRF-1 for related entities
- Prepare annual business/personal property tax returns and welfare exemptions in all jurisdictions
- Prepare monthly schedules and reconciliations of various balance sheet and income statement accounts relating to compliance reporting
- Produce routine and customized financial reports
- Coordinate the application and renewal of Vendor Registrations
- Engage with internal staff and external clients for purposes of financial training, consultation, problem-solving, and planning
- Provide back-up coverage to Finance Operations
- Develop systems to streamline processes and enhance team efficiency
- Other projects as assigned by management
- May be required to train and/or guide other team members
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), nonprofit accounting, and internal control processes
- Knowledge of filing exemptions, registrations and sales tax
- Strong analytical and accounting skills. Must be able to identify, analyze, and problem-solve accounting or compliance issues within a deadline-oriented environment
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong verbal and written communications skills with the ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Strong critical thinking and decision-making ability and able to financially sound determinations
- Ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- Proficiency with MS Office and NetSuite or similar ERP
- Excellent organizational, planning, prioritizing and time management skills
- Ability to explain financial statements and accounting concepts to non-finance personnel
- Prepare and maintain all documentation on processes
- Experience with developing and maintaining reporting systems procedures and practices
- Ability to work independently within a fast-paced, task-directed, deadline-oriented environment
Education & Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or Finance with an emphasis in accounting preferred
- Non-profit accounting (including non-profit revenue recognition) preferred
- 3 - 4+ years of experience in a similar position
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. Please advise in writing of special needs at the time of application.