COVID-19 could spread rapidly in prisons and jails due to existing overcrowding, the lack of ability to physically distance, unsanitary and unsafe conditions (i.e., the lack of soap, running water, masks and hand sanitizer), and staff coming in and out of the facilities. Advocates are calling for prisons and jails to institute protective protocols immediately and for the release of all elderly (50+) and medically high-risk people.
This event is hosted by the Race, Gender, and Human Rights Fund and the East Bay Community Foundation, and co-sponsored by the Akonadi Foundation, the California Criminal Justice Funders Group and the California Gender Justice Funders Network.
- Amika Mota, Young Women’s Freedom Center
- Tara Williams, California Coalition of Women Prisoners
- Ny Nourn, Asian Law Caucus and Survived and Punished
- Terah Lawyer, Impact Justice
- Tyee Griffith, Transformative In-Prison Workgroup