Young people are the keepers of our future and when they are organized, they are a force to be reckoned with. In 2019, a network of foundations and individual donors who value the role of youth organizing in creating and advancing more equitable, just, and effective social, economic, and political systems came together to launch the Northern California Youth Organizing Funders Collaborative. Since our launch, our Phase 1 activities included hosting field design sessions with youth leaders and organizers and granting 500K in general operating funds to 25 youth organizing groups in the Bay Area through a participatory grantmaking process.
We are now moving into Phase 2 of our collaborative and welcome your interest and participation. Join us for a keynote address from Lateefah Simon of the Akonadi Foundation on the importance of youth organizing as a regional equity strategy in COVID-19 recovery and beyond, and hear from a community panel of youth leaders and organizers on their vision for the future and how funders can be partners in the work. The importance of cultivating a powerful youth organizing ecosystem with shared strategies to engage more young people, expand power, and address pressing issues cannot be overstated, and the need for investment and partnership could not be greater. We hope you can join us in organizing towards a more equitable future.
Through this program, we will:
- Increase visibility and emphasize the importance of youth organizing as a regional equity strategy in COVID-19 recovery and beyond.
- Share the vision, goals, and intentions of the Northern California Youth Organizing Funders Collaborative.
- Present learnings and insights from our Phase 1 activities and recent field design session with youth leaders and organizers.
- Announce our Phase 2 strategy and timeline.
- Outline opportunities for funder involvement and engagement.
Speaker bios coming soon.
Tessa Callejo, Senior Program Officer, San Francisco Foundation
Alexia Everett, Senior Program Officer, Stuart Foundation
Albert Maldonado, Senior Program Manager, The California Endowment
Amy Price, Program Executive, Zellerbach Family Foundation
Lateefah Simon, President, Akonadi Foundation
- Young Women’s Freedom Center
- CURYJ (Communities United for Restorative Youth Justice)
- YUCA (Youth United for Community Action)
This program is open to NCG members and nonmember funders.