Managing Up: How do you respond to a microaggression from your boss?
As messengers for our organizations, communications staff are uniquely positioned to be on the frontline of confronting microaggressions within their organizations and within the philanthropy sector more broadly. However, many communications staff also lack the positional power to actually shape their organization’s practices. As a result, cultivating a culture of belonging also requires knowing how to manage up.
This peer led session is designed for communications folks who want to push for more equitable practices. We will demonstrate examples of some common microaggressions, as well as strategies for responding to microaggressions that occur within workplace hierarchies. Our goal is for more communications folks to position themselves as advocates for belonging and liberation.
- Carlos Aguilar, Chief Content Director, Change Lawyers
- Kamika Dunlap, Chief Strategist, The Women’s Foundation of California
- Emily Katz, Vice President of Public Affairs, Northern California Grantmakers
- Jen Meehan, Associate Director of Communications, Hispanics in Philanthropy
- Camille Ward, Communications Coordinator, Rise Up
This event is open to everyone working in communications roles. The content focuses on communications in the philanthropic field.