We invite you to join us for a two-part workshop series taking place in March (April 20 and April 21, 2021: sessions run 10:00 am - 2:30 pm)
Join Nonprofit Finance Fund and Philanthropy California to advance full cost practices for the nonprofit sector by participating in a remote learning series in March. This workshop series invites you to take what you’ve learned as a nonprofit leader or funder and help pave the way for others to have transformative conversations about more equitable funding practices.
We intuitively understand: the less nonprofits stress about money, the better they do. That’s pretty straightforward. So it may come as a relief to know that the things standing between the organizations we appreciate, and the stability they crave, are within our hands. The Full Cost approach is an excellent place to start.
The compounding disasters are causing extreme exhaustion for people who’ve been organizing and orienting around racial justice, in particular leaders of color in communities of color. The Full Cost approach lays out straightforward accounting of needs being met and needs that are not. The very real bills, reserves, debts, and facilities expenses show up differently for every organization, especially those that have experienced decades of disinvestment and historically have less access to networks of wealth.
This workshop creates a unique space for nonprofit and funder leaders to learn as peers, set a shared understanding of the full cost of running an effective organization, and identify ways to improve funding dynamics in their own organizations and for the broader field. Workshop goals include:
- Breaking down barriers between funders and nonprofits and creating a partnership in funding agreements
- Learning how to communicate the full cost of an organization and how to fund with a full cost mindset
- Challenging assumptions about accountability, reasonable costs, power dynamics, and privilege to advance equity and results
This workshop takes place on two days:
- Tuesday, April 20, 2021 | 10:00 am - 2:30 pm PST
- Wednesday, April 21, 2021 | 10:00 am - 2:30 pm PST
With a long break for lunch each day
Because this workshop series is designed for group discussion and participation, everyone must apply to attend. If selected, you’ll join a curated group of six to eight nonprofit and funder leaders to work through tough questions and learn from one another’s perspectives and experiences.
Fee: This learning series is free of cost to nonprofits and funders with an active membership in Northern California Grantmakers, Southern California Grantmakers, or San Diego Grantmakers. For all other funders, the fee to participate is $1,000.
The application will close on Tuesday, April 13th at 5:00 PM PST.
California-based nonprofit leaders and funders
- For nonprofits: leadership involved with seeking funding, managing finances, and/or setting organizational strategies, such as executive directors, CFOs, and development directors. Also open to program directors, grant writers, and board members.
- For funders: staff whose work includes interfacing with grantees and recommending/making grants, such as program officers. Also open to leadership, trustees, and grant management staff.