Each year, thousands of noncitizens are released from state prisons and jails, often immediately detained by ICE where they face deportation, a process that the Governor and County Sheriffs have the direct power to halt. This is one of the countless connections between local and state incarceration and the criminalization, detention, and deportation of immigrants. In order to better understand these connections and how they further mass criminalization, we must adopt a power analysis and intersectional framework that exposes the deep and insidious ways these systems reinforce and build off one another.
- Peejay Ai, Asian Prisoner Support Committee
- Liyah Assefa, Survived & Punished
- Diana Campos, Sacramento ACT
- Angie Junck, Heising-Simons Foundation
- Sandy Valenciano, Immigrant Legal Resource Center
This program is open to NCG members and CCJFG members.