About this Series
Western landscapes have always burned and always will. The more we suppress fire and change the climate, the more catastrophic wildfires become. How can we make communities and wild lands more resilient in the age of megafire?
About the Session
Catastrophic wildfire threatens rural communities located in fire-adapted landscapes as well as urban communities downstream of toxic wildfire smoke and landslides. COVID-19 is accelerating the exodus from cities to the wild-urban interface, further stressing overwhelmed fire-fighting and medical teams. New technologies are emerging, from early fire detection and evacuation planning to tree-level decision support that will scale our ability to restore landscape resilience. An innovative, carbon negative wood market could create thousands of jobs and speed the removal of hazardous fuels from our forests, while environmental markets pay landowners for good management. Join us for this discussion about the economic opportunity awaiting us in keeping communities safe and protecting our natural resources.
This session addresses how funders can invest in building economic and community resilience at the wildland urban interface and, in the process, improve quality of life for all
- Illuminate opportunities at a systems approach in dramatically improving rural economies, community safety, and natural resource resilience
- Clarify the crucial role philanthropy/high-risk capital can play in kickstarting and scaling solutions, in a system that is stuck
- Amplify opportunities for lower income, small land owners to monetize good land management practices
Other Events in this Series
- Session 1: The Convergence of COVID-19 and Wildfire Register >
- Session 2: Why Western forests are burning catastrophically Register >
- Session 3: Catastrophic Wildfire- Opportunities for Intervention Register >
- Session 4: The Future of Wildfire, Climate Change, and Water in the West Register >
- Session 5: How Wildfire Disproportionately Impacts Vulnerable Communities Register >
This program is open to all funders (NCG, SCG, SDG members and non-funder members).